Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Very Good ROM for Galaxy S

Options
  • 06-07-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I have had a few in the last couple of months, I am not 100% happy, laggy they are very often, also depends of the launchers installed and other bits.
    I tried Kitchen Rom, the stupid DarkyROM (I am currenlly on Darky 10.1) and a few others...

I am looking for a very light one, as quick as possible, with no BS but everything working properly.

Any advice? I am on XDA forum too, but bloody hell, this thing is tough to read/follow, all the kiddies posting their ROMS, very frustrating. I know how to flash etc, but the mess they create on this forum and the threads is insane.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

CyanogenMod 7 works on my galaxy S and is great.

There's probably a quicker way, but this is how I put it on;

Step 1. Follow the instructions here to upgrade to Android Gingerbread (XWJVB)
    Step 2. Follow instructions here to root it. This also puts on clockword mod.

The links above also include all the software and firmware needed to follow their instructions..

Step 3. Download the RC version (update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip ) from here and follow instructions from here. I installed it through the recovery method.

It's the best ROM I've found so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Nichololas wrote: »
    CyanogenMod 7 works on my galaxy S and is great.

There's probably a quicker way, but this is how I put it on;

Step 1. Follow the instructions here to upgrade to Android Gingerbread (XWJVB)
    Step 2. Follow instructions here to root it. This also puts on clockword mod.

The links above also include all the software and firmware needed to follow their instructions..

Step 3. Download the RC version (update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-GalaxyS-signed.zip ) from here and follow instructions from here. I installed it through the recovery method.

It's the best ROM I've found so far.

Thanks.
    Not so keen to install a RC1 on my mobile again, but dawn this thing is small, 98MB...
    Does it come with all the 3g settings for EU providers? That's what is missing usually with custom roms.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Try Insanity ROM.
    Was very light and very fast on FROYO.
    Don't know what its like now.
    There is also an Insanity Thread on this Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I was gona say Darky 10.1 but you mentioned you were already on it, I find it works perfectly well myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Hecklar wrote: »
    I was gona say Darky 10.1 but you mentioned you were already on it, I find it works perfectly well myself. :)

Yeah heavy on memory, juice, he added a Galaxy S2 boot image, removed the colors of the settings menu etc. Just too amateur for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

bmstuff wrote: »
    Yeah heavy on memory, juice, he added a Galaxy S2 boot image, removed the colors of the settings menu etc. Just too amateur for me.

Then you should try Ficeto's JVQ Base ROM. Light on juice. Very smooth and fast. Colours etc. of settings menu are all stock.
    Then flash Semaphore 1.3.1 kernel if you want ability to change boot animation
    See post 791 here to get rid of unneeded system apps

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

G1032 wrote: »
    Then you should try Ficeto's JVQ Base ROM. Light on juice. Very smooth and fast. Colours etc. of settings menu are all stock.
    Then flash Semaphore 1.3.1 kernel if you want ability to change boot animation
    See post 791 here to get rid of unneeded system apps

+1 Ficetos JVQ base is the best ROM I have found so far. I used to be a fan of darky's, but its full of useless crap. Flash his JVH through odin first, then his JVQ making sure lagfix is enabled before you flash JVQ. Ive been drinking so doublecheck that I am correct on the darkys forum :D

Advertisement