Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re attire for Kilmacanogue Show

Options
  • 06-07-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My LO will be doing the Lead Rein class ( 3-5yr old age group ) Is it full show gear? Canary yellow jodphurs, shirt & tweed show jacket?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Lead rein classes are no different to other show classes - the children need to be dressed appropriately. Riding jacket (either hacking (tweed) or show (navy/black) jacket), shirt, tie, jodhpurs, boots and gloves are a good idea.

However, if you're not going to be attending a lot of shows during the summer, then don't go to huge expense. A school shirt/time would be fine (I remember borrowing my dad's ties for classes), and if the child doesn't have a jacket, do you know anyone who could loan you one for the day? Same for jodhpurs/gloves. But if your child already has a greyish/white pair of jodhpurs, then I wouldn't go out and buy a pair of, as you put it, canary yellow jodhpurs.

Don't be surprised when you turn up on the day and see the parents' attire matching that of their child - a lot of parents take the lead rein class far too seriously, and have everything matching. However, once the handler is dressed neatly and appropriately then there's no reason to go to the added expense of splashing out on completely new (matching) outfits for the handler and child!

The one piece of advice I'd give is make sure that your child enjoys it - the lead rein is meant to be an enjoyable introduction to showing, so make sure to make a big fuss of the child regardless of where they're placed! :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thanks Convert - we are doing this purely for fun. Lots of the kids from the stables where she rides will be taking part & my LO is dead set on doing it.. Have the boots & shirt.. will have to get jodhpurs as hers are Navy.. need to figure out now if I can somehow find a show jacket to borrow as this will be the only "formal" show as such she will be doing this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Just got an email back from the Secretary - thought I would stick it up in case any other parent of young kids attending uses the equestrian forum..

Thank you for your enquiry regarding dress code for the lead rein class.
    As these pony classes are for less competitive/unregistered riders, we do not have a strict dress code, requiring full show kit. A well fitting riding hat is a necessity but after that, full show gear if you have it available, but if not, neat dress, whatever your little girl normally rides in.
    If you have any further queries, I am happy to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Even though you've already gotten show shirts can I just recommend to you Tesco! Last year I got 5 boys school shirts for €3 around August time and they worked perfect for the shows! (There's no difference in the girls or boys they only had short sleeves left in the boys) And if you're worried about it having the collar I cut it off one of my shirts so it look like a perfect showing shirt now!

Also sometimes in warm weather you're allowed ride just in your shirt and no jacket so pray for the weather and no jacket is needed!

Advertisement