Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bats in attic {i hope}

Options
  • 06-07-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all
    Not sure is this the right place for this question but here it goes , the last few nights at about 11 am on wards i hear a lot of fluttering or ruffling going on in the attic, now i am hoping its bats that have entered the attic an not rats or mice. Last winter we had some 4 legged rodents up there but i since sealed all holes in walls outside etc. I went up in attic this morn and found quite a lot of small black excrement all in one area and small bits here an there.I dont mind the harmless bat using the attic i just want to ensure its noting else. Here is pics of the excrement , i was wondering could anyone narrow this down for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

All piled in one area like your first and third pics is a lot like how of bat guana builds up alright. Although four legged rodents could leave a similar pile as well.

What is directly above that spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Directly above that spot is a rafter lying again the outside gable wall

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

yes looks like bat droppings. The fine black powder is where they droppings have broken down. The easiest way to tell rodent and bat droppings apart is to roll it. Fresh rodent droppings are soft and squash. Older droppings are rock hard. Bat droppings always break down to a fine powder which is the harder body parts of the insects they eat. Try not to disturb them.

Advertisement