Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gadget Gift Idea for hill walking

Options
  • 06-07-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I would like to buy a special present for a guy who is interested in Hill Walking.

Could anyone recommend maybe a good gadget which would be useful for hill walking anywhere.

He is 29 years old. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

What kind of price range are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A tin of old school sucky sweets. Handy if stuck on a long trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

A suunto vector watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Depends on budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Classact

approx EUR100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

good walking poles is a good place to start!
    after that heres some random bits and bobs -
    Pace counting beads
    Mobile Phone (in waterproof case)
    Flask for hot drink

Whistle
    Compass
    "An ability to navigate " book !!
    emergency rations is allways a funny one :D
    Emergency Survival Bag
    Water purification

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Classact wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I would like to buy a special present for a guy who is interested in Hill Walking.

Could anyone recommend maybe a good gadget which would be useful for hill walking anywhere.

He is 29 years old. Thanks

It might be worth sussing out (discretely if its a surprise) if there is anything in particular this guy actually wants or needs. For a lot of people selecting outdoor equipment is a very personal choice. One possible solution if its not a surprise would be to ask him to send you links to some equipment he would buy with his own money and you get to chose from that list. There will still be a certain surprise element because he won't know for certain what he will get but he will definitely get something he actually wants or needs.

Hope this helps

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

It's a no-brainer - buy him this:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp?PageID=40

I have one and it's the best bit of kit I own. :)

PS, I have no connection with BPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

colblimp wrote: »
    It's a no-brainer - buy him this:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp?PageID=40

I have one and it's the best bit of kit I own. :)

PS, I have no connection with BPL.

and not the slightest hint of cramps in stomach or longer on the toilet than usual??

It looks like a great product, but you know that first drink from dodgey looking bog water would take a bit of guts :o

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

MB Lacey wrote: »
    and not the slightest hint of cramps in stomach or longer on the toilet than usual??

It looks like a great product, but you know that first drink from dodgey looking bog water would take a bit of guts :o

I have one of these myself and I think they are a great product.I was a little apprehensive at first taking water from places I would never dream of but now that I have used it a good bit I have total confidence in it.

By the way you should always look for the clearest looking water possible because muddy water will block the filter. You can take muddy/peaty water but you should let it settle in a container before filtering it. Also if in doubt then boil the water after filtering and you will have no problems whatsoever.

I bought mine direct from the manufacturer and ordered one without an insulated cover but it came with one anyway saving me a tenner ;)

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php#TravelTap

No connection to seller etc. etc.

Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Hi < the best thing to buy would be night classes in map reading.Better than any gadget.;)

thanks andrew.
    due to this thread, I think I've just watched the best youtube video ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC4TULsD4oc

If you don't trust clicking a link, just search 'the travel tap' in youtube and behold the wonders. I loved her anyway.

I think I'll buy one!!

irishtear wrote: »
    Hi < the best thing to buy would be night classes in map reading.Better than any gadget.;)

they actually do classes in map reading at the teacher's college on parnell square (dublin).
    They went out for walks too - that'd be a great present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

get him a gps and a link to a geo-cache site.

geo-caching is like a high tech treasure hunt, people hide treasure boxes, and post co-ordinates on line, you go hill walking looking for them, get the treasure and a message about the place you are and why it's important etc. you replace the prize and update the site.

all the cool hill walking kids are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd agree with the nav classes, great suggestion. Depending on where you're based a days rockclimbing or scrambling would be a nice gift if he was thinking of expanding his walking into more technical stuff.

Advertisement