Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evidence of Slowworm in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

A thread inspired by references on this thread on Common Lizard.

Could folks please post any evidence they have of existance of slowworm in the wild in Ireland...Sightings? Photos? Videos?

I know little about fish and less about reptiles but I notice that our eels can travel overland so something to bear in mind.

The closest thing I can find to evidence is a NPWS site synopsis for the East Burren:

"The site [all the high land in the east of the burren] also supports the only known populations of Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis) in Ireland - this lizard is believed to have been introduced in about 1970."

Anyone seen them there or anywhere else? I suggest not to post precise locations.

Thanks!

Comments

Yeah , i have not heard much about them , but they seem to be in lots of places in the UK. I am going to take a trip up there soon, i really hope to get some pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

A friend lives on the west edge of the burren. His works as a gardener and will ask hime to look out for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You answered your own query really. They are only known to be in the East Burren and even they were introduced only 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

A

Could folks please post any evidence they have of existance of slowworm in the wild in Ireland...Sightings? Photos? Videos?

jm: My husband and I saw a slow worm in The Burren a few years ago. We were walking in a low valley and my husband screamed about seeing a snake "He's a Dub! :D
    Unfortunately by the time I had my camera at the ready it had "slithered" into the undergrowth. I knew about these lizards but my husband didn't know such a thing existed and i had to convince him it was NOT a snake that he saw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Eddy Hill

A thread inspired by references on this thread on Common Lizard.

I know little about fish and less about reptiles but I notice that our eels can travel overland so something to bear in mind.

The closest thing I can find to evidence is a NPWS site synopsis for the East Burren:

"The site [all the high land in the east of the burren] also supports the only known populations of Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis) in Ireland - this lizard is believed to have been introduced in about 1970."

Anyone seen them there or anywhere else? I suggest not to post precise locations.

Thanks!

Yes there are slow worm are in Co Clare . Certainly introduced but surviving and breeding there , Contact the Biodiversity Officer in Co Clare for more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Cool. It was just a curiosity of mine...I was afraid that all the web references could be traced back to some single sighting from the 70's. (The story I heard was of a JCB driver doing some digging / site clearance in the burren who disturbed some number of them...)

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

They certainly are breeding. I think it was about 3/4 years ago during the Summer that we spotted our fellow. I didn't bother reporting the sighting though and probably should have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

They seem to live quite a long time. One specimen apparently lived for 54years. So some of the ones introduced in 1970 could still be alive. They must reproduce slowly too, since they are only in the eastern part of the burren.
    surely they would spread to all parts of the burren in time because its seems like ideal habitat for them.

They seem to live quite a long time. One specimen apparently lived for 54years. So some of the ones introduced in 1970 could still be alive. They must reproduce slowly too, since they are only in the eastern part of the burren.
    surely they would spread to all parts of the burren in time because its seems like ideal habitat for them.

Slow Worms can live to be around 50 years old, The males are sexually mature at 3 to 4 years, and the females at 4 or 5 years. They give birth to live young and will produce 6 to 10 young annually. So, not so slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

That is a fairly good reproduction rate. I must keep an eye out for them basking next time I'm in the burren on a sunny day so.

• Advertisement

Remeber too that they have a very high predation rate with them being lost to Crows, Raptors, Foxes and, apparently, Cats.

Advertisement