Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System grinding to a halt

Options
  • 05-07-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Win XP
    AVG Free 8.5
    HP Pavilion dv6000
    3 gig RAM

Installed some software (at least that was the only change) which i have uninstalled now, AVG full scan in safe mode, disk cleanup, defrag, still crawling, even in safe mode as well. Does a diagnostics scan on the hard drive now from BIOS.

Any idea? Can i use can think to see if there is malware hogging the resources? I'd really love to not have to format.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

When you boot up the next time open up task manager and sort by size. See what's going on in there.

Although personally I'd get rid of AVG and put on MSE in its place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What software? What is showing the machine down? CPU, drive usage, network usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

chin_grin wrote: »
    When you boot up the next time open up task manager and sort by size. See what's going on in there.

Yeah, it doesn't indicate what it is.
    Although personally I'd get rid of AVG and put on MSE in its place.

I'll give it a look anyway. Can you run both together?
    5uspect wrote: »
    What software? What is showing the machine down? CPU, drive usage, network usage?

It stems from here really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Sort the task manager display by CPU Usage.

Is the disk-access light on a lot ?

Is the problem after you've removed the software?

Have you done a complete restart of the machine?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Some video apps can create HUGE temp files. How's your spare disk space looking?
    Disk cleaner and even CCleaner might not clean them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement