Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone and android market

Options
  • 05-07-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

not sure if this has happened with ireland network.
    i have a uk htc wildfire which although unlocked had the vodaphone start ups.
    just today i went to android market and my apps has been replaced by a vodafone tab.
    obviously i dont want this and wondering if anyone else has the same thing and has found a way of getting rid of it.
    why would anyone want a vodafone tab instead of my installed apps, now i dont know what apps need updated and when.
    tyia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

thankfully it seems to have corrected itself.
    reading through some google stuff , vodafone have set up their own bundles in the market so must be trying to slot into that.
    annoying they can just update my phone like that with no prompt from me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If it's in the Market you can open it in the Market app and untick the box that says allow automatic updating.

from what i can gather i cant switch this off.
    its a vodafone branded but i can use the ASDA sim here in the UK on PAYG.
    so i presume vodafone can update the phone at will.
    anyways , they have some new junk on the android market that they want to promote and the way they seem to have tried to do this on my phone was to replace the MY APPS tab with a VODAFONE one , thankfully they have decided now against this and its been changed again.
    suppose it highlights the real benefits of having an unbranded phone

"Vodafone have just launched their own branded content within the Android Market. Instead of adding yet another shop app, Voda have instead selected sports, news, information and gaming apps from their partners. They'll be available either free or for a discounted price. It's live now in the UK, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain. The new channel will also be available in Ireland, Portugal and Greece soon.

VODAFONE FIRST IN EUROPE TO LAUNCH ANDROID MARKET OWN-BRAND CONTENT CHANNEL Monday 4 July, 2011. From today, millions of Vodafone customers will have access to the new Vodafone content channel in Android Market™. The first such channel in Europe, it offers customers a regularly updated selection of Vodafone services as well as the best news, sport, information and gaming apps, all sourced from Vodafone’s global and local partnerships, often on an exclusive, free or discounted basis. Lee Epting, Vodafone Group’s Content Services Director said, “Together with Google™, Vodafone has made it really simple for customers to get to the essential apps they can trust. More than 75 million Vodafone customers around the world are regularly using the mobile internet, and we are committed to giving them the best possible experience. This focus on quality over quantity helps deliver on that commitment.” The own-brand channel is already live in several Vodafone European markets and can be reached through the Vodafone tab on the homepage of Android Market."

now its back again :mad:
    i really dont want a vodafone tab replacing my apps.

finally got this sorted albiet an unsatisfatory fix. will do for now.
    from a google forum , anyone else with similar problem , use the menu button to find my apps.
    still spam by vodafone and should be removed

Why does Google allow phone companies to brand "their" Android Market. As of this morning, the option "My apps" in the market has disappeared. It's been replaced by a Vodafone option, giving me access to a list of Vodafone apps in the market.

I know I can still access "My apps" using the menu, but that's not the point. I've paid for this phone and I liked the "My apps" shortcut in the default Android market. Taking away this shortcut without giving me any say in the matter won't make me download these Vodafone apps, it'll make me think about switching phone companies!!!!

Again, why does Google allow this ?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement