Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reaching for New heights

Options
  • 05-07-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

My best friend and fellow 3rd Age Man is gone to Miltown Malbay this week to do a Traditional Irish Music course and learn some new tunes on his concertina. To my mind, that is reaching for the stars and I hope he gets the good weather he deserves.

Anybody else out there of the 3rd Age doing inspiring things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What age is 3rd age?

I finally got to college and turned 50 while I was there. I started teaching at 58. And I have recently started a 'living history' group which is getting going quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I had a complete career change mid 40's. I dropped all my previous qualifications and re-started in a different career at the very first rung of the ladder. Financially crippling (and then the banks imploded!) but it completly rejuivenated me, lifted away all my stresses and made me a much happier man.
    The three ages - Young age, middle age and old age perhaps?
    Looksee, whats the 'Living History' group?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Well its not something normally associated with over-60's!

Living history is a historical interest group where people research and explore the lives of people in a particular historical period, recreate the dress, crafts and daily life of those people. Also there is a strong interest in fighting mock battles of the period, (known as re-enactment) sometimes specific ones like the Battle of Hastings, or Civil War battles in the USA, sometimes just generalised skirmishes to show use of weapons and costume of a particular period.

The terms living history and re-enactment are used a bit interchangeably, but even if you are just interested in the battle and battle practise you are expected to research and understand your kit and weapons so that you can explain them to an audience. There are major shows around the UK and Europe and to a lesser extent Ireland, but also re-enactors and living history groups get asked to all sorts of local festivals as part of the entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ahhh Re-enactments I understand. I'd just not come across the term Living History before. I assume that most period clothing is reproduction rather then original. Is that something you do or do you get people to make it for you? (Am always on the hunt for tailors and seamstresses , I'm such a clotheshorse)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Yes, costumes would be reconstructions - anything before WWII would be impossible to get. Some people make their own (I'm sewing like mad at the moment), others trade skills within the group, or get them made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Living History and Re-enactment groups are often used/requested to help in filming documentaries (and apparently some movies) I understand. Ever been involved in that kind of thing Looksee?

I would love to be a Celt with an axe by the way. (Did Celts have the Long Axe or only the Battle Axe (very inferior IMO) I know Vikings used all three types of axe in war. (Throwing Axe, Battle Axe and Long Axe.) Just unsure about Celtic weapons really.

Sorry I am rambling again. This thread is all very interesting to me and I sometimes get carried away.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Living History and Re-enactment groups are often used/requested to help in filming documentaries (and apparently some movies) I understand. Ever been involved in that kind of thing Looksee?

I would love to be a Celt with an axe by the way. (Did Celts have the Long Axe or only the Battle Axe (very inferior IMO) I know Vikings used all three types of axe in war. (Throwing Axe, Battle Axe and Long Axe.) Just unsure about Celtic weapons really.

Sorry I am rambling again. This thread is all very interesting to me and I sometimes get carried away.

Lol, no, we are still getting our act together. We are still learning and researching and creating our characters and clothing. Its very interesting though.

Advertisement