Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a Tent, Advice please.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hi, G2ECE, Gelert are an okay brand, not the best, but good value for car campers. Can I ask what kind of use you have in mind for the tent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Donny5 wrote: »
    Hi, G2ECE, Gelert are an okay brand, not the best, but good value for car campers. Can I ask what kind of use you have in mind for the tent?

Which brands are better than gelert?

Needler wrote: »
    Which brands are better than gelert?

Well, lots of them. Gelert is a budget brand, and the gear they supply ranges from excellent to awful, but the point is that the Gelert brand is no guarantee of quality. If you are car-camping, or staying in a camp site, or only going to use the tent in the height of summer, then you can happily buy Gelert and go about your holiday. However, if you are ever going to rely on Gelert gear for your survival, then you had better have a Plan B, because their gear is not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Will be watching this thread with interest as looking to invest in a tent this year aswell. Was looking at this tent in argos, what ye think?http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9275881/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C19719008%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419397%7CTents%7C14419414.htm

The main point that keeps coming up is the waterproof anything over 1500mm should be a must.

We will be just campsites in summer with 2a and a 3 & 5 year old and of my lovely dog.

RubyGirl, if you will always be staying in campsites, then you have a lot more leeway in what you choose. A hydrostatic head of 1500+ is fine for everything but winter storms, and because you'll be carrying it in a car (I presume), weight/bulk aren't an issue, so you can more or less pick a tent by the style you prefer. The only thing is that the bigger and more complex the tent is, the longer the set-up/take-down time becomes.

Another thing that probably won't affect you in campsites, but if it does will ruin your day, is midges, and so midge netting (or no-see-'um, as the Yanks call it) is preferable to mosquito netting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just bought one of these;

http://soulpad.co.uk/sanctuary/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

Hi Donny, I will be camping during the summer and it will be in parks and I will have the car with me. tbh I want to buy quality as I plan for it to last a few years. I want to avoid getting wet too!!!! would you recomend any other brand??

G2ECE wrote: »
    Hi Donny, I will be camping during the summer and it will be in parks and I will have the car with me. tbh I want to buy quality as I plan for it to last a few years. I want to avoid getting wet too!!!! would you recomend any other brand??

I'd say you'll be fine with the Gelert tent. You probably won't find anything better for the price, anyway. If you can find it on an actual store, you could buy it, put it up and have a look at the quality and dimensions, and if it's not up to scratch, send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

I'd say you'll be fine with the Gelert tent. You probably won't find anything better for the price, anyway. If you can find it on an actual store, you could buy it, put it up and have a look at the quality and dimensions, and if it's not up to scratch, send it back.

Thanks for your help Donny.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

id check out some tents here - http://www.omearacamping.com/

i know one of the main lads in there real sound wont sell anyone crap and knows a **** load about tents, you can buy over phone. in shop or online,
    used about 10 or more tents of there and never had probs with them all great tents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement