Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about giving up

Options
  • 05-07-2011 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

i've been thinking about giving up alcohol for a while now, but tbh am worried about how i'll cope without it.
    i just finished my degree and for the last four years it has been drinking at least three times a week.
    since ive finished college ive been having a few cans every evening after work, five or six per night and then maybe one or two glasses of jack aswell just to settle the stomach before bed. on the weekends its a lot heavier, friday and saturday kick off begins at 6pm and its usually ten to twelve pints under the belt by midnight, then onto the spirits and hitting the clubs. tbh im not big on the spirits, might have six or seven shots of vodka/captain/jack in total that'd be it.
    honestly i probably feel like i'm drinking a bit too much. im sure it cant be healthy for me but at the same time i'm worried how life will be without it. im usually the life and soul of the party, the one everyone asks whats the plan, where are we going next, the first person everyone rings when it comes to time to party. honestly my friends would probably laugh in my face if i told them that i was thinking of giving up the juice.im worried i'd lose some friends tbh/
    i'm just looking for peoples opinions. what to do. i dont even know where to start. i dont know how to even imagine life without liquor, my brain doesnt even have the architecture to imagine a world without it. how do you start?? how do i end this vicious cycle, cut off the supply to the tap that is a never ending cycle of sauce.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

First thing you should do is find an AA meeting in your area, go to it and really listen to the personal stories of the people there. I'm pretty certain you will hear something that you can relate to. You don't have to share your own experiences if you don't want to but I would recommend it, at least stay for a cup of tea and a chat with someone. Everyone you meet in the rooms will more than gladly help you. There is help and support for you if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Agree with blondie go to an AA meeting,(There are also online help groups including a new Irish one,its name is posted here in another thread.) there everywhere so it does not have to be close to your home if that's a worry.Only you know whether you have a problem with alcohol,and as many people here will testify giving up or even stopping drinking alcohol is not easy so give yourself a chance as you didn't get to where you are now with alcohol abuse so it wont just stop overnight, goodluck and let us know how your getting on no matter what course you take. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you're drinking 5 or 6 cans a week night, plus a couple of shots, then fifteen pints on each of Friday and Saturday night, you're drinking at least 125 units of alcohol a week - the recommended limit is 21 per week.

You have taken the first step by acknowledging you are drinking too much. The only way to start is to decide not to drink today. Once you get that done, decide the same thing tomorrow, take it one day at a time. You lived before you drank, you can live after it.

Do not worry if you will lose friends by stopping drinking. Anyone who would stop being your friend for this reason, never was a friend in the first place.

Advertisement