Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Cover for extreme doggy hairloss!!

Options
  • 05-07-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys & gals!

Thought this would be the best place to post this as it's both animally and not animally <- think i just made that up??

Anyhoo,
    My boxer goes EVERYWHERE with me and last friday, I finally plucked up the courage to attack my car with my mums superdooper pet hair remover hoover. I could have made two more boxers out the amount of hair that was in my car.

What I would love and what I'm hoping some of you can help me with, is finding some good quality leather seat covers that will actually fit my car seats.

I bought some 'universal' seat covers in Halfords but they would hardly cover the feckin head rest never mind the whole seat.
    They were the least 'boy/girl racer' looking but they were a horrid grey colour.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

aoife2k wrote: »
    Hi guys & gals!

Thought this would be the best place to post this as it's both animally and not animally <- think i just made that up??

Anyhoo,
    My boxer goes EVERYWHERE with me and last friday, I finally plucked up the courage to attack my car with my mums superdooper pet hair remover hoover. I could have made two more boxers out the amount of hair that was in my car.

What I would love and what I'm hoping some of you can help me with, is finding some good quality leather seat covers that will actually fit my car seats.

I bought some 'universal' seat covers in Halfords but they would hardly cover the feckin head rest never mind the whole seat.
    They were the least 'boy/girl racer' looking but they were a horrid grey colour.

Can anyone help?
    you could try "classic car seat covers" dont know if you can get them in leatherette.do you brush the dog daily with a slicker brush or a brush for short haired dogs?? it would cut down alot on the loose hairs if you did it every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I have a furminator that I use on her but she still seems to lose an awful lot of hair!

Cheers for the suggestion :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

you could try a doggie car blanket that hooks over the front and rear headrests in the meantime. I got one years ago for my old dog (border collie cross who shed a LOT) and I still use it with the current fella. It won't eliminate the problem but it will help and it's easily removed for hoovering (!) and washing. Mine has a fleecy lining and is super-snug for him too and has zips at the back so I can still use the rear seat-belts to clip onto his doggie seat-belt too.

Thanks Lpfsox,

I've seen them before but my girl likes to sit in the front passenger seat and lean on the arm rest or stick her head out the window. She's only ever in the back if both me and my partner are going somewhere, then she likes to lie in the foot well of the back seat and have her head on the arm rest that way so she can see both of us (she's so weird lol)

I know aldi had seat covers a few weeks ago, they didn't seem to be selling too quickly then so some might still be around at your local one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

aoife2k wrote: »
    Thanks Lpfsox,

I've seen them before but my girl likes to sit in the front passenger seat and lean on the arm rest or stick her head out the window. She's only ever in the back if both me and my partner are going somewhere, then she likes to lie in the foot well of the back seat and have her head on the arm rest that way so she can see both of us (she's so weird lol)

This doesn't sound very safe - is she clipped in eg with a harness at all? Anyhoos..my car has leather seats and I found my guy would slip and slide on them so you'd proabably need something non-slip underneath if you did go for leather type covers. I had the advance leather ones from halfords on my last car and found them really good and much better quality than the argos equivalent. I used a hammok one from zooplus when he sat in the back seat (I had 2 aldi ones before it and straps snapped on both) and it really helped keep the car clean. Since he moved to the boot it's now attached to the headrests of the back seats and basically lining the boot and the car stays pretty clean...except for the sand when we go to the beach that seems to just pile up lol! The zooplus one was expensive but much better quality than the cheaper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I have the canvas seat protectors (have seen them in Argos for a reasonable price). I find them brilliant. As its just a big sheet (basically) its designed for backseats (has clips that go around the front seat head rests) but I've used it in the front as well. Its just a big square of canvas so it fits all seat types no problem and you can just tuck it in/around where its too big. They're amazingly easy to clean - I just toss mine in the back yard - squirt some washing up liquid across it and hose it off - hair, mud and sand flies off it no problem - then just let them drip dry on the clothes line and they're ready to go back into the car. They're really easy to put in and out and move around so if you have passengers at any time - just whip them off and the seats are pristine! I've had many compliments on my clean car despite my very hairy and usually wet, sandy or muddy pup!

Oh thanks everyone!

Tk123, we strap her in with her harness but sometimes when it's hot, she likes to squeeze herself down there so on a short trip I don't strap her in.

That canvas sheet thing sounds just perfect... she loves the beach too and my heart is broke trying to get sand out of the seats and the car mats.

Thanks for all your suggestions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is the one we have - I bought it in despair one evening after the treats at class made him hyper and he managed to get down under the cheapo one and chew up the car mats as I was driving - the only part of the car that was in pristine condition!! :pac: :pac: Then he wouldn't stop going down under them and getting tangled up and distracing me! :rolleyes: It has removable wooden inserts in it so bridges the space between the front and back seats - my guy used to like to stand/sit in the middle looking between the two front seats. It was very expensive and I regretted splashing out on it as soon as I bought it thinking it was a waste of money- until it came - much better quality and much stronger than the cheaper ones. Also it's not smelly like the other ones were!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Sorry, my car is so doggified with hair, sand and dog toys that I am too embarrassed to take passengers. Wish I had thought of the cover before though!

• Advertisement

tk123 that looks like a brilliant cover but it's WAY out of my budget... times are extremely tough :(:(

@annascott I hear you! I'm so glad that my saturday meetings are finished as I had to share the lift sometimes... major embarassment as I could only get a certain amount of the hairs off!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

We have an estate car that is basically the dogs car! (There is a 'clean' car for everyday use, ie work). And it is usually covered in dog hairs, they float through the car! I find the best way to clean the car (actually just did it this morning, first time in a while!) is to give it a rough hoover, and then to soak a cloth in a mix of warm water and fabric conditioner. Rub the cloth all over the seats and the hair is attracted to it, it works brilliant. You may have to rinse the cloth out a few times and let the seats dry when you are finished. And when the car is clean, I always leave a tumble dryer sheet under the drivers seat just to give a nice smell :) I was about to attack the boot to clean it, but there is so many sticks, bottles and twigs that I couldnt face it! Maybe tomorrow.....

Advertisement