Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your First Love!

Options
  • 05-07-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Who here remembers the first comic book that they absolutely loved? The one that got you hooked on this very expensive hobby?

I remember for me it was a birthday present from my friend Eoin when I was about 12 or 13 - Dark Phoenix Saga! True he only gave it to me because he had gotten it as a present and he is a DC fan, not a Marvel fan, but ever since then I have been a huge Marvel fan, I just love the way that they do teams so well!

So folks, what was the first storyline that won you over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Clone Saga......I was seven and Spiderman had a new costume, sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The Clone Saga......I was seven and Spiderman had a new costume, sue me.

This. Dark Phoenix is brilliant too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Heh, the first comics I remember reading that I got seriously into were Mort & Phil (well, the Spanish versions). They were great, slapstick humour and plenty of visual gags to appeal to kids. There was also the excellent 13 Rue Del Percebe by the same artist that had some great storytelling tricks since any given page of it depicted events all happening around the same time, with the panel transitions moving through space rather than time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I read 2000 AD for ages but I really got hooked when someone loaned me a copy of The Dark Knight Returns when I was about 12. The bit where Batman and Superman go toe to toe blew me away and I've been all about Bats ever since then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Asterix when I was a kid...the library had them and I borrowed them repeatedly.

When I got older it was X-men around the time of Jim Lee was given his own book, I hated the drawings (although his DC work is much improved) and the storylines were so confusing but something about it kept my going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I used to love the X Men cartoons, and my crazy old local Craggy Island newsagent started getting the associated comics in for some completely random and inexplicable reason. I'd get him to keep them for me, and I'd pick them up when my dad brought me in for the paper and a choc ice after mass. :D

Anyway, I was really only getting them because I loved the cartoon so much, half of each comic was dedicated to basically just retreading the - in retrospect, fairly lame - episode plots, but the other half had reprints of actual classic X Men storylines. One of those reprints was the Asteroid M thing with Magneto's apparent death, and it blew my tiny primary school mind. Violence! Ambiguous morality! Banshee's Jamaican accent! Space! It had it all!

The bit where Magneto raises the Russian sub and ends up knee deep in the remains of all the dead sailors within, just blew my tiny mind. I reread it a while ago, and my Lord, the old-school overuse of speech bubbles is just preposterous, but the meat of the story was leagues ahead of anything else I was seeing on TV or reading elsewhere at the time, and it made an impression.

From there, I went to 2000 AD and whatever, and after a while that line of X Men comics started to feel real weak by comparison, but man, I stayed with them for far longer than I should have largely on the back of that one story. (And maybe the Omega Red stuff, I'm a sucker for evil Soviets)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Justice done it for me , alex ross is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 39 madigan94

the first race between superman and the flash (superman #199)......found it lying around the house a few years ago...been hooked ever since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The first comic I started getting regularly getting was Battle, 6 years old and reading about the Battle of Stalingrad and the trenches of WW1 in Charley's War, kiddiwinks today wouldn't be allowed to read that type of stuff :D

Advertisement