Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus to Electric Picnic 2011

Options
  • 05-07-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey folks, I know I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself already here, but this year I am being uncharacteristically proactive about Picnic. I have my tent and my ticket at the ready and my funds put aside for the weekend (as long as I don't end up spending it on Race Week that is), but just wondering is anyone considering organising a bus to Electric Picnic this year? Last year I got one from the Cathedral and it was perfect, but I understand that a lot of the folks involved in that one are now Canada-bound. Would be cool if I could get my travel arrangements sorted in advance as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Citylink have run a bus to it in the past so check with them, also Zhivago used to run a bus so maybe check with whoever runs the shop now, I've seen signs in their window for buses to other gigs so definitely a good chance they'll be running one.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Yeah I got one 2 years ago, can't rightly remember if it was with Citylink or Bus Eireann, but it didn't leave Galway until about 11 or 12. Because of the time, it took us six hours to get there. 3 hours to get to Stradbally, and then another 3 hours to get the 3 miles from Stradbally to the festival. Would have walked it the last few miles except for the fact that we had too much gear with us and some of the girls said they wouldnt have been able to walk it. I know beggars can't be choosers, but preferably I'd like to get a bus about 7 or 8am. Thanks for the advice anyway man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I think you might have got the bus eireann one, I got the citylink one and it left at 10 so we were all set up in stradbally by half 2. It did leave stupidly early on the monday though for the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Predalien wrote: »
    I think you might have got the bus eireann one, I got the citylink one and it left at 10 so we were all set up in stradbally by half 2. It did leave stupidly early on the monday though for the return leg.

Ah every bus seems to do that unfortunately. The last 2 years I have been in such a rush on the Monday morning I just had to leave my tent behind me, which pained me to do for both monetary and not-being-a-littering-scumbag reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Davyhal wrote: »
    Ah every bus seems to do that unfortunately. The last 2 years I have been in such a rush on the Monday morning I just had to leave my tent behind me, which pained me to do for both monetary and not-being-a-littering-scumbag reasons

Just pray the hippie/crew scavengers take it and repurpose it before they send in security to threaten them and then bulldoze it into a heap and set fire to it! (true, eco my arse!).

Could they not do a late afternoon bus from Stradbally? The town would make a killing on panadol, lucozade and *insert hungover food of choice* (baconbutty/curry/marsbar/crispsandwich/6 bowls of rice krispies) ;)
    People would not feel so rushed if they could laze in town or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Davyhal wrote: »
    Hey folks, I know I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself already here, but this year I am being uncharacteristically proactive about Picnic. I have my tent and my ticket at the ready and my funds put aside for the weekend (as long as I don't end up spending it on Race Week that is), but just wondering is anyone considering organising a bus to Electric Picnic this year? Last year I got one from the Cathedral and it was perfect, but I understand that a lot of the folks involved in that one are now Canada-bound. Would be cool if I could get my travel arrangements sorted in advance as well.

We (4) would be on for that. I nominate your good self to organize it. :D

Leaving Galway as early as possible on the Friday morning. It doesn't matter to us what time on the Monday. The trouble about driving back is that the shades direct all cars out the same route, into the Garda check point, so can't go too mad on the Sunday night. A bus home would be perfect, I can give you a hand in getting some quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Anyone know who's doing them and at what prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The companies I know about are summarised here: http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/bus-services-from-galway-to-electric.html

There are also tickets being sold from the former Zhivago outlet on Shop St, but I haven't listed it due to not knowing exactly which company is running it: it sounds to me more like a private charter that someone's filling seats on than a true "public transport" service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

JustMary wrote: »
    The companies I know about are summarised here: http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/bus-services-from-galway-to-electric.html

There are also tickets being sold from the former Zhivago outlet on Shop St, but I haven't listed it due to not knowing exactly which company is running it: it sounds to me more like a private charter that someone's filling seats on than a true "public transport" service.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember last year CityLink were the company doing the Zhivago bus service.

Glad to see some of those buses aren't leaving Stradbally til late in the morning, being at the return bus at 8am on the Monday morning was hell last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I got quotes from a few private companies.

Kelly travel are going from galway €50 return
    Reaneys €40 return
    Bus Eireann €35 return

Anyone know what price Zhivago are charging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Does anyone know if there are buses leaving 'Picnic on Sunday night for Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

I got quotes from a few private companies.

Kelly travel are going from galway €50 return
    Reaneys €40 return
    Bus Eireann €35 return

Anyone know what price Zhivago are charging?

€34 return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 burke21

Bus from Galway Cathedral Friday morning 8am returning Monday 11am.. €30 return.

<signing up to promote a business isn't allowed, mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 burke21

I'm organising a bus from the Cathedral. €30 return. I can't promote it any more than that or I'll be removed from Boards apparently !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

@burke21 .... pm me with details please

Advertisement