Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock solid router

Options
  • 05-07-2011 10:30am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can someone recommend me a rock solid ADSL 2 router with wifi please? I have a pain in my boobies now. My last setup was:

zyxel modem + netgear router. This crashed approximately 2-3 times per day.

Now I have a Cisco WAG325N which is great except the wired part seems to fail about once a day, give or take (wireless and modem part are rock solid though).

So I want something that is absolutely rock solid. G wifi is fine (only have G devices).

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Linksys WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT firmware.

I use it for my home wireless because the UPC Cisco router is so bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice one. Thank you very much. edit: no dsl modem. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Fritz box, have a 7270 myself, super piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would have thought the vast majority of routers are pretty rock solid. Routers are as common as muck and anything that common has been redesigned and improved so often they pretty much got how to make them down to a fine art.

I've never experienced that kind of breakdown in routers no matter how cheap they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Thats true to a degree, Belkin stuff is muck though.

But yeah as for what the previous posters have said the WRT54G is an exellent router (its a little out of date though with it being B/G only) Ideally id recommend a good N spec router, ive got a WNR2000 with DD-WRT firmware on it and its exellent. Id rate Netgear quite highly, not pricey and decent performance. If i was picking one with a Modem built in id go for the DGN2200

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Routers are as common as muck and anything that common has been redesigned and improved so often they pretty much got how to make them down to a fine art.

That's what I would have thought too, but the reality for me has been horrific. The last netgear router I had was just ridiculously bad. Older firmwares were crashing less than newer ones for example. Total nonsense.

The current one is rock solid except the wired part fails occasionally. I can take the wire out of one port and stick it in another, but this only lasts a short while before failing, so I typically just reboot. This is happening around once a day, give or take. The wireless and internet connection stay solid the whole time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

I picked up a DGN2200 as what I thought was going to be a stopgap after having trouble with a couple of isp provided pieces of junk and and hodgepodges of modems and wireless routers and have been pleasantly surprised by the performance.

QoS, Port Forwarding, and the ReadyShare USB all work quite well and wired, wireless, and PPoE connections are all solid. The firmware seems solid and configurable. Although I wouldn't mind trying open-wrt or dd-wrt if it's ever supported, I don't see having to upgrade to a supported router as imminent as I thought.

Khannie wrote: »
    That's what I would have thought too, but the reality for me has been horrific. The last netgear router I had was just ridiculously bad. Older firmwares were crashing less than newer ones for example. Total nonsense.
    It was a software crash so? If hardware is failing on you one after the other it would make me worry about things like the quality of the power going into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd a poor experience with the WAG series from linksys, ended up getting a buffalo from elara for 29.99 and it's been solid ever since, seems to have gone up in price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

We had massive trouble in work with various wired and wireless modems and routers.
    In the end I set up the Thomson modem the ISP provided in bridge mode so it doesn't do any routing and we use an Apple Airport Extreme to handle the routing and the PPoE connection.
    We used to lose net connection at least once a day. We haven't had any downtime that I'm aware of since we rejigged it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meesared wrote: »
    Thats true to a degree, Belkin stuff is muck though.
    It's just overpriced rebadged consumer crap.

Heat don't help , so always make sure the router is well ventilated.
    In Spain they used to immerse them in cooking oil - not a recomendation though.

Old trick is put it on a timer plug so it gets a reboot at 3am

Do a scan every so often to make sure the neighbours aren't hogging the same frequencies in case that is causing conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Draytek routers are on the expensive side but rock solid. MIne (Vigor2900 Gi) has been happily working away for 7+ years without one moment of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Im using a cheap TP-Link W8960N that I got for about €35 on Amazon and find it very stable.

morgana wrote: »
    Draytek routers are on the expensive side but rock solid. MIne (Vigor2900 Gi) has been happily working away for 7+ years without one moment of trouble.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! I'll have a look at them, cheers.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    It was a software crash so? If hardware is failing on you one after the other it would make me worry about things like the quality of the power going into them.

Hadn't considered that actually, though the linksys was on a surge protector I'm pretty sure the current one isn't.

Hadn't considered that actually, though the linksys was on a surge protector I'm pretty sure the current one isn't.
    It should be fine on a UPS but apparently power can really mess things up if it's not coming in right. I've heard stories of some very expensive machines doing some funny things due to a poor power supply. The machine was throwing up errors all over the place, they where following errors all over the machine and in the end it turned out it was the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Nice one. Thank you very much. edit: no dsl modem. :(

It's not a cable modem either, so I still use the Cisco but turned off the wireless on it and forwarded all internet traffic to the Linksys. Of course my problem with the cisco was the awful wireless that would just lose connection and require a full reset to fix, but if your current router has problems with wired connections then this mightn't be ideal. ;)

Advertisement