Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I cool wort straight away or wait?

Options
  • 05-07-2011 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,
    should be wort brought to pitching temp as quickly as possible after boil ends or should it be allowed to sit for a few minutes? Does it depend on late hop additions or what because reading recipes some people seem to let it sit and some seem to suggest its best to bring to pitching temp with a wort chiller ASAP? Whats the norm? Do late hop additions need to infuse??

Thanks

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If your are doing full boils 20 liters + then you can cool and 0 minute hop additions at the same time. Switch off the heater add the hops and turn on the water of the immersion chiller, as it will take time for the wort to cool

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

oblivious wrote: »
    If your are doing full boils 20 liters + then you can cool and 0 minute hop additions at the same time. Switch off the heater add the hops and turn on the water of the immersion chiller, as it will take time for the wort to cool

I'm doing full boils but slightly smaller brews with a final volume of about 15~17litres so I assume the same applies and its OK to cool immediately?
    I timed it yesterday and it took my wort chiller about 17mins to get from boil down to pitching temp of about 22~23deg

Advertisement