Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive

Options
  • 04-07-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

So I'm considering purchasing an external hard drive but I've got a query first.

How reliable are external hard drives? This is the one I'm considering http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002E7HEVU/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1

Would I be better getting an actual HDD and buying an enclosure so it's still portable? Portability isn't essential, but obviously it's very useful..

It will always be powered on as long as the computer is on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hey
    Dont think the enclosure option is of much benefit to you unless you already have a hard drive and want to save costs - they are not usually easily opened on a regular basis.
    The smaller portable external hard drives tend to get their power from usb, the larger ones usually need a separate power supply which can be a pain if you are moving them about.
    Good brands are Seagate, Iomega, and WD.
    Personally ike the goflex drives - I use Mac and Pc so they suit me.
    Aldi and Lidl often have great offers on ext drives but I cant vouch for their reliability - Maybe some other poster can give their experience.
    Choose a drive that offers the fastest speed that your pc/laptop can handle.
    Some vids.....
    WD Passport(has encryption)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouVr8EtatIs&feature=related
    GoFlex(seagate)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M92Io1Xr6no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm more worried about reliability than anything else..

I've seen those Aldi ones but Amazon has far better prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

The only advice I would give Is get a branded one like segate or iomega or something that is easily found. I bought an external HDD..some unknown brand cheap..worked perfect however After a while the power connected broke and I was unable to get a replacement cable..Just last week I got a segate goflex and I find it great especially because of the portability and also the ability to change the interface from standard USB on my old laptop to eSATA on my new laptop.to speed up transfers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have had a number of Western Digital My Books throughout the years and they have worked well. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

You don't need to have the external HDD powered up all the time.

You don't leave your car running all the time, just in case you might need to use the car.

Just turn the HDD on when you need to backup or retrieve data.

I don't use any auto backup programs that come on the external HDD, I prefer to just copy the data over to the ext HDD and retrieve as required.

Some backup programs that come on the ext HDD's back the data up to a bin file or compressed file which makes it hard to retrieve selected bits of data.

Seagate, Western Digital(WD) and Samsung make good reliable drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a 1TB from Curry's WD and it's fine 2 tears on.
    Have another Freecom 40GB that's been with me for 4+ years and still fine.

If you have extremely important info then have two ext HDs? Chances of both failing are slim.

Neither are always on, I just use them to backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Do you need it to be portable? The smaller 2.5 inch ones are a little bit more expensive but FAR more portable.

I would also look at one with USB 3.0 - your computer probably doesn't have USB 3.0 now, but they will be more common in the coming years. They are also backward compatible to USB 2.0

Based on the above, there is this one, but the price goes up a bit.. Depends what your budget is.

I've had 3 Western Digital external drives over the last 5 years and none have skipped a beat. A feature I like of the WD desktop HDD's is they will power on/off with your computer. I'm sure others have that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

old_aussie wrote: »
    You don't need to have the external HDD powered up all the time.

You don't leave your car running all the time, just in case you might need to use the car.

Just turn the HDD on when you need to backup or retrieve data.

The reason it will be on all the time is because I'll have files on there that are constantly in use.. i.e. I listen to music, watch a lot of series/movies, games etc. most of which will be on the external hard drive. It will be rare enough for it to be actually turned off.

It doesn't have to be extremely portable. It just needs to be portable enough to move around to different computers and houses. :)

I think I'm probably going to go with an internal drive in an external enclosure I'd say. That way if the USB connection dies or whatever the data is still retrievable.

Advertisement