Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busy Lizzie Problems

Options
  • 04-07-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

:confused:s likeorry if this has been asked before,is anyone having problems growing busy lizzies this year,I,ve been using them both as bedding plants and in containers for years and have never had any problems,but this year they just will not thrive,after 2 or 3 weeks they are just dying and rotting away,is it the wierd weather this year or is there some other cause like a virus or something,thanks jayteecee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mine are not dying, but they are pathetic. They have not grown, the foliage is yellow and very few flowers. I think it is the weather. I will give them another foliar feed tomorrow and see if they will pick up, but the weather is due to get bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Same here. I started a packet of Blue Somethingorother in February, in May they were huge in their trays but just got smaller and smaller when planted out. I kept slug pellets round them and sprayed them with derris dust to no avail, even those in my hanging baskets are the same if not worse. I thought with the weather warming up it might have improved them, but no.
    Anyway there's always next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I heard that Busy Lizzies are suffering from some disease.
    http://cantyycim.livejournal.com/2371.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

I sowed some too. Were doing great up to a point as young plants. Once May hit they just stalled and started to yellow. I have them dotted everywhere. Constantly picking off diseased looking leaves. Only in one place are they doing resonable well - in a hanging basket by the front door. Gets early sunshine until 1pm. It's a nice sheltered spot. So I guess the weather is the cause. May was crucial I think, and crap :-(

johnayo wrote: »
    I heard that Busy Lizzies are suffering from some disease.
    http://cantyycim.livejournal.com/2371.html

Mine are definitely not suffering from downy mildew, they are healthy but yellow and small, mostly not flowering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Think the weather is the culprit. Mine not thriving either maybe its the constant damp. Brought a couple indoors and they are doing ok.

We had a few days sunshine and mine have come on a lot, not the mounds of flowers they could be, but at least there are flowers.

Advertisement