Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get my rod fixed?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So stupidly I stood on my rod clambering over a wall the other day. I broke off about 3 inches off the bottom of the top part of the rod, where you would join both bits together.

Anyone know where I might be able to get this fixed? I think its a clean enough break so should be easy enough to fix...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

thehamo wrote: »
    Hey,

So stupidly I stood on my rod clambering over a wall the other day. I broke off about 3 inches off the bottom of the top part of the rod, where you would join both bits together.

Anyone know where I might be able to get this fixed? I think its a clean enough break so should be easy enough to fix...

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Rod repair is nearly a thing of the part now, twenty years ago I used to splice about two a week but I havent done one in years! If the rod isnt too old I would suggest a new top section, a splice ruins the action of a rod any way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

not sure if its the most expensive rod in the world so perhaps getting it sliced woukd be pointles, i.e. a good excuse to get a new rod! though looking there even the cheap ones aint that cheap. i need another fly fishing fair to bag me a bargain!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

The only thing people really do with rods now is replace the top ring, otherwise its a new section/rod.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you split the top section at it's lower end that is an easy problem to repair. The rod's action will not be changed much since the stiffer portion of the rod join is only moving up slightly, there was a join there before, and there will be a similar one after, so no significant rod action problem should arise.

Assuming the rod has a tapered spigot plug at the top of the lower section .....

You must cut the top section back until most of the split is removed. There is no requirement to remove all of the cracked part. Use a junior hacksaw and cut back until less than 25mm of crack remains
    Trial fit gently to check the new fit of the tapered spigot plug. Usually the spigot plug now only goes partially into the top section.
    Sand the plug down with rough and later fine sandpaper, so it goes further into the top and under 6mm remains outside the top section when all goes tight.
    While the rod is assembled, whip the top so it can not be spread and split by the spigot while joining the rod, and inserting the spigot plug to it's usual tight fit. The whipping thread turns must cover the part of the top section which the spigot plug will go into, plus 1 cm.
    Saturate the whipping with thinned epoxy(viscosity of ink), let harden.
    Paint whipping with thicker epoxy (viscosity of varnish/paint) let harden.
    Done.

Carbon fibre roving (carbon string) or basalt roving is a better material for the whipping if you can obtain it. I get it in Dublin area.

A repair like this is good for 10 years of demanding fishing and some mild abuse. If you use the proper laminating epoxy the repair will last as long as the rod does.

If you use cyano thin and the rovings this repair can be done in about 2 minutes, but it will only last a few years.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Coolwings. I priced the rod online and its only worth about 30 odd quid. (Ron Thomson Steel Head Pro) I'd probably be looking at the same for repair costs weather I do it my self or not.

Bday is coming up, I think her self might be getting a new rod on the wishlist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Might be worth your while repairing the rod just for the practice just in case the same ever happens to a more expensive one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

finlays in Monasterevin in Co.Kildare do good rod repairs

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Might be worth your while repairing the rod just for the practice just in case the same ever happens to a more expensive one. ;)
    all good rods have a lifetime guarantee

shblob wrote: »
    all good rods have a lifetime guarantee

For manufacturing faults yes, very few will cover one's own stupidity when closing a car door on your rod. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

a lot are unconditional tbh so you have no bother getting them sorted, i've done so myself :)

What make offers that. Could save quite a few quid over time if I could get myself and the kids a few rods with that kind of guarantee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

Orvis will fix or replace any rod FOC within 25 years of purchase regardles of how the breakage occured. I dealt with them and must say customer service is seccond to none no BS ... Guideline is another one for bespoke customer service (also from personal experience) ... Some of the others (top end ones) wont even bother answering to your email...

as above, a lot of them have a surcharge/handling fee around 20-40 quid like greys/wychwood too

well to let anoyone interested know...

I just bought a new rod, a nice fenwick rod from SS Angling. Cant say enough about the lads in there. Ended up buying more than I bargained for. A testement to their helpfulness!!

Advertisement