Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs to get disconnected.

Options
  • 04-07-2011 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I rent a ground floor shop with a flat upstairs. Both have different accounts in our name. As the flat is only used for storage by us,i have no need for power in flat so use no power. With the standing charge around €23 for 63 days. It a waste of cash. So would like to stop the ESB costs. But I would like the option of getting it put back on at the end of my lease in three years.

Can someone please out line the cost to get disconnected. I did phone up about this but am having trouble working out how it can cost so much. € 80 to get it switched off ?. Sounds cheeper not to pay and get cut off !. + costs to get it back. Rip off springs to mind.

What are my options. Would love to know my full costs and why a charge to stop the thing in the first place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi irishhat,

The cost to disconnect is currently €79.45 (incl. VAT), as is the cost to reconnect.
    irishhat wrote:
    I would like the option of getting it put back on at the end of my lease in three years

Bear in mind that once the power has been off for more than six months, you would need to get a registered electrical contractor to check and certify the wiring before the property could be reconnected (for safety reasons).

If a property is without power for two years or more, you would need to apply to ESB Networks for a reconnection (see here for details). I would not advise you leave it this long, as the cost would be significantly higher in this case. (ESB Networks are a separate company from ourselves that operate and maintain the grid on behalf of all suppliers; their list of charges can be found here).
    irishhat wrote:
    why a charge to stop the thing in the first place

These charges are agreed with and approved by the CER (Commission for Energy Regulation) and relate to the cost of sending out technicians from ESB Networks to disconnect/reconnect.

Please feel free to PM me your details if you would like me to have a look at the account(s) in question.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement