Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Brown trout stay small.

Options
  • 04-07-2011 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I found a lake why into the middle of nowhere in Donegal over the weekend. No road there.

A small stream flowing in and out. All surrounded by turf bog.

The lake was not very deep. I could wad half way into it. But was quite big.

Ever 2nd or 3rd cast produced a bite on the dryfly. It was great fun. None big enough for the pot. So unhooked and released.

All the fish where no more than 7" long. I camped for the night. And watched the evening hatch. All the jumping fish where the same size .So lively .

Why is it that they dont become bigger? Im sure there was no larger fish in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Protien supply and genetics. If there's a big population of fish competing for a limited food supply they'll not get enough food to grow big. The genes of the fish in the lake will also dictate the size potential they have. Acidity levels can also have some effect but its not a definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

+1 on Daroxtar's answer.
    Bog lakes are generally not areas of high biodiversity and production. Those trout are small because they are competing with all their siblings for the limited food supply there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Daroxtar mentioned acidity levels and I'd say it's the main facotr; in limestone areas you tend to have bigger fish. Calcium is good for insect and crustacean growth as I think it helps skeletal growth or something like that. Although the most if the fish are small you might be surprised what could be lurking in them peaty loughs. I went out one early march (awful cold day with hail) to a lough that has a smaller than average size and caught two fish around a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

There is probably a few big un's there but the majority of the population are stunted for the reasons given above. The bigger fellas are probably not to interested in taking flies off the top but might be persuaded if you fish lures around drop offs underneath where the smaller fish are.

Advertisement