Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Dispenser 'Carboy'

Options
  • 04-07-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recovered a couple of water dispenser containers. The kind that are inverted/replaced.

Different Water companies, and the design was different (one had a carry handle). They make for really practical fermentation vessels.

I presumed that because they were used for holding water for human consumption, that they were food grade, and safe for brewing.

However I was told today that some designs have chemicals that can leach into the brew, and those can be nasty.

Is this true? I tried to search for an old thread on it here (if there is an old discussion can someone send it on?) but came up empty.

Is there a way to tell? For instance any embossed lettering or design that can indicate if the bottle is catering quality or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think there's a bit of paranoia about leaching chemicals from plastic containers. Do note that they don't last forever and will eventually leak, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What type plastic are they? It'll be on the bottom, possibly in a little triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of paranoia about leaching chemicals from plastic containers. Do note that they don't last forever and will eventually leak, however.

Well if it lasts all summer then I am happy. Theres a few locals who want to get their mitts on it when I move in the autumn.

Thanks for the reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would worry about them falling over more than leaching chemicals, they often have round tops (now bottoms).

I was in a builder suppliers in dun laoghaire the other day, he had 20L food grade containers with and 1.5" screw on caps, think they were €12, he had another with a tap on it for €16, also 20L.

Advertisement