Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solitary leafcutter bee

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:40pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was doing a bit of gardening the other day and noticed a very dark coloured bee bringing a bit of a leaf back to my shed, where it crawled into a tiny space where a board has cracked. Have seen it a few times since, it seems to have nested in the inside of the cracked board. Did a google search and pretty certain its a solitary leafcutter bee, which I had never heard of before, but there's not much more info on them, or their status in Ireland.

Anyone know how common these are here? Was pretty cool to see it nesting in/on my shed... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The usual description is "Common and widespread throughout Ireland in June and July". It's the female who cuts the neat leaves to build the nest.

That said, I'd bet most people don't even know if they have seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

also known as the mason bee because of the "secret handshake" they give to each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are both of the family Megachilidae. But Mason Bees are so called because of their habit of making compartments of mud in their nests unlike the leafcutter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The usual description is "Common and widespread throughout Ireland in June and July". It's the female who cuts the neat leaves to build the nest.

That said, I'd bet most people don't even know if they have seen one.

Cheers. Was in the garden for a few minutes this morning and noticed a few leaves on a Pyracanthus that had been neatly trimmed by the bee, with a semi-circular chunk missing. Also have many bumblebee and honeybee visitors to the flowers, great to see the honeybees anyway.

Advertisement