Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hen and her eggs

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

:confused:my hen wantd to sit on eggs last night now she dosent . she had laid 14 eggs outside but we moved her inside because the fox was round 2 weeks ago now she has no interst in them she is awy from the other hens does any body have any ideas that i could ake her want her eggs ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Has she gone broody? Cooing, fluffing up her feathers and with a vacant stare? If not then you are wasting your time. How long had she been sitting on the eggs before you moved her? Sometimes it takes a week for them to get properly broody and settle down. I built a special coop with just enough room for the hen to move about and with a wire covered run so she can wander outside a bit but not too much. I stick them in here when they go broody and they usually settle quickly.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spoty

i found her on the eggs yesterday eveing whenever i was locking them in ! shr ruffs up her faethers when u go near her she is back on her eggs now ! i expect she was upset from being moved from were she laid them .
    thanks for repling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

She could be upset from being away from her rooster.

...you do have a rooster, don't you?

She could be upset from being away from her rooster.

...you do have a rooster, don't you?

...or maybe the OP bought fertilised eggs? Roosters can make life unbearable for sitting hens if they mate with them too regularly. I had to move mine out of the main run when the feathers started thinning out on her back for this reason.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spoty

yeah i have a rooster and she has settled now , she just probally found it strange in a new enviroment hopefully in a couple of weeks ill have some chicks :)
    thanks for the info :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have to say from reading this thread and others about hens - they're a lot more complicated then I gave them credit for :D

tk123 wrote: »
    I have to say from reading this thread and others about hens - they're a lot more complicated then I gave them credit for :D

Yeah - they can be a bit 'hands-on' at times. If you have the space and like free range eggs then they are pets with benefits.

'c

Advertisement