Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange fish

Options
  • 04-07-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

After returing from a pollock fishing trip on the rocks I was approching the small beach at which I started when I noticed some fish in the water.I could see one at the start but after wadding out I could see many more.There were a browish colour and I could see two fins breaking the water.There were 12-18" long and I was able to get within 20ft or so of them.They were in about 3ft of water.I tried a few lures but they didnt take anything.It was a small sandy beach with heavy rocks and gullys on both sides.To me they looked almost like dogfish but Iv never seen dog fish shole or on sand.Would anyone have any idea what these fish were?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

Mullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

shrubs wrote: »
    Mullet?
    Nope its brownish fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

uncanny_factoid_one_eyed_shark_640_02.jpg

I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Hmm,i suppose they could have been dogfish,ive come across one or two in the shallows when crabbing! Fish can be weird though, I remember one very hot summer YEARS ago I was fishing a deep rocky mark and for some reason a load of wrasse decided to come to the surface and swim on their sides while opening and closing their mouths,there were about twenty of them,never seen it since!

• Advertisement

In all I seen about 20-25 of them.But I have no Idea what they are.Im going out again tomorrow and see if I can get a better look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

uncanny_factoid_one_eyed_shark_640_02.jpg
    :Dwhat in the name o god is that?????:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

ive seen that before wit small shoal like that of similar size they were wrasse maybe not what you seen but i have seen something similar and the fish was a school of wrasse

The only thing that put me off thinking they were wrasse what the length of them.They more dog fish size but heavier .Ill wait for the weather to clear and ill see if i can get some pictures.

damagegt wrote: »
    The only thing that put me off thinking they were wrasse what the length of them.They more dog fish size but heavier .Ill wait for the weather to clear and ill see if i can get some pictures.
    oh well you could be talkin bout a small hunting pack or either bull huss( dogfish but larger in weight and size) or even spurdog which are bigger than both and in water can have a brownish colour but when they are out of water are silver and have been known to hunt in packs as pups as they are called when young im interested to know what they are now :D

• Advertisement

oh well you could be talkin bout a small hunting pack or either bull huss( dogfish but larger in weight and size) or even spurdog which are bigger than both and in water can have a brownish colour but when they are out of water are silver and have been known to hunt in packs as pups as they are called when young im interested to know what they are now :D
    I know,its driving me mad trying to findout what they are.

I know,its driving me mad trying to findout what they are.
    what about pollock? wud it have been them? ive seen one or two close to beach or even bass

No definatly not.We were standing in the water holding pollock that we had caugh and the fins were totaly different.

No definatly not.We were standing in the water holding pollock that we had caugh and the fins were totaly different.
    was just looking up on fish there my only guess is the bull huss man no other fish seems to match it other than species of dogfish

Im thinking along the same lines as you the only thing putting me off is the sand.I know maybe 20m out the beach the ground gets very rough with heavy kelp and deep gullies.Lots of lobsterpot stings around theyre,so maybe they were breeding or something else along those lines that they drifted in.The tides that day were fast and high 4m.

Im thinking along the same lines as you the only thing putting me off is the sand.I know maybe 20m out the beach the ground gets very rough with heavy kelp and deep gullies.Lots of lobsterpot stings around theyre,so maybe they were breeding or something else along those lines that they drifted in.The tides that day were fast and high 4m.
    alright. well unlike the dogfish bull huss are good hunters and have been caught in very shallow water feeding on the small fry near the beach. so they probably followed the fry in. i once witness bon a small pier in cork dark clouds of fry right up to the beach beside me and the sight sfter it was amazing thousands of mackerel swarming in after them i had my pike rod with me as i was fishing the river beside it tat day i had feathers with me and spinners aswell and my fly rod spent half hour after the mackerel wit feathers then used fly rod and had great fun even caught some decent pollock and one serious bass of about 4 lb was amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I suppose they could have been smoothhounds,they feed on crabs and worms and can come very close in on beaches usually at dusk though.

Maybe.It was about 6 in the evening and it was a scorcher of a day,Another thing putting me off the dogfish/bull huss is the face that they were all on the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Needlefish by any chance?

Is a needle fish the same as a garrfish ?If so I wouldnt think they were just because they were quite big.Sorry just had a look at wiki and they say they can grow to 2-3 feet and live close to the surface and in june/july they come in close to breed/spawn so it might well have been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bayliner wrote: »
    :Dwhat in the name o god is that?????:D:D:D

the picture has been removed lol but it was a shark taken from its dead mothers womb that seemed to have only developed one eye.well that or a type of shark with one eye that ive never heard of:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I've seen dogfish lazing on sand in about a foot of water on sunny days before.
    I also recently saw a family of bullhuss about 10 feet from the shore while snorkelling

mawk wrote: »
    I've seen dogfish lazing on sand in about a foot of water on sunny days before.
    I also recently saw a family of bullhuss about 10 feet from the shore while snorkelling
    Thats what I was thinking of doing.I might get abit closer if I snorkeled up to them.Dogfish dont ever seem to bothered when you snorkel up to them.

Advertisement