Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless Rabbit Man

Options
  • 04-07-2011 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi
    The white rabbit, in true fashion has sparked my curiosity!
    There is a homeless man who usually sits around O Connell Bridge/ Westmoreland street with both a small dog and a rabbit on his lap.

Has anybody else noticed this?
    Anyone got a background story? . . . :)

Is the rabbit ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I was sure that's a woman? I have noticed a (wo)man with a small brown and white dog and a rabbit, on Westmoreland Street. I feel sorry for all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

I just read this story and I feel so bad for that guy, he loves his rabbit. Whatever evil person decided to throw the wee thing into the water should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

TheVoodoo wrote: »

Oh my god! That man is a hero :) What a story!
    I say there will be a lot of positive response and the rabbit will never go hungry again.
    I would totally help him out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

His pets are like family to him. So much so that he'd risk his life to save one of them. That's love right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

I think it's a bit irresponsible to keep animals when your own life is not stable enough that you can be guaranteed of being able to feed them regularly and sufficiently, to bring them to a vet if and when they need it, and so on, tbh.

Scraps from restaurant bins is hardly a proper and healthy diet for either animal. Personally, I'd chalk his "love" for them up to the fact they set him apart from other beggers. I'm sure they're a right little money earner for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Why did he get so angry with search and rescue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I think it's a bit irresponsible to keep animals when your own life is not stable enough that you can be guaranteed of being able to feed them regularly and sufficiently, to bring them to a vet if and when they need it, and so on, tbh.

Scraps from restaurant bins is hardly a proper and healthy diet for either animal. Personally, I'd chalk his "love" for them up to the fact they set him apart from other beggers. I'm sure they're a right little money earner for him.
    Ah would you ever get a life.

The animal(s) are better off with someone who loves them than in an animal shelter.

Im normally right up there with the most cynical, heartless comments etc, but I will have no shame admitting to a tear in my eye about this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

TheVoodoo wrote: »

Thats it now.
    Im giving him money.
    Well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Jehuty42 wrote: »

I'm a bit of a cynic myself but if this guy jumped into the water after his rabbit (when he could get another one for a fiver) they do mean a lot to him. There is actually a lot of research on how pets help the homeless to structure their lives, combat depression, give purpose etc.

I was at the vets years ago and I saw a dog recovering after a minor op; I was told it belonged to a local homeless man and the vet was treating the dog for free as the pair were well known locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

The man is a well known face in the city- he has various spots in which he sits with his animals. AFAIK he's from Dublin. His girlfriend, from Armagh, often sits with the animals as well, which would explain people having seen a woman with the same pets. They love their pets and unfortunately homeless shelters do not allow animals, so the couple are squatting somewhere. They often sit outside the restaurant where I work, I've talked to them both on many an occasion and I have to say they are the loveliest pair. The lady in particular is just a gorgeous person. I think they both have alcohol dependencies. Very nice people and really pulled at my heartstrings when I heard about the rabbit in the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

D wrote: »
    Why did he get so angry with search and rescue?

His dog was still on the bridge and they were taking him further away from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Anyone know why someone threw the rabbit into the river??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

xo.mary wrote: »
    Anyone know why someone threw the rabbit into the river??

Because they're heartless scúm... why else would someone do it?

Advertisement