Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yet another crating question

Options
  • 04-07-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I have 2 7mnth pups and we are considering crate training them as we are moving in a few mnths and talking over the weekend the thinking was that if they had their own familiar space they might take the move easier. :confused:

So here the questions begin... do they get crated seperatly or together? they sleep together at the moment.

do i get crates big enough to take them when fully grown or will more space create more problems?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I think you're best crating them seperately. I used to crate my two together but the male has gotten so big i had to buy another one, and there's no way the two would both fit into the big 120cm crate. They were getting a bit narky together in the crate anyway and i could hear them giving out to each other during the night when one would wake and wake the other up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What breed are they op. I have a 5mt old lab and a year old lab x. At the moment they both share a crate. Eventually they will have to seperate but goes well now.

I would crate them both together for the minute, the only reason you need to crate is for moving purposes. So let them share for a couple of weeks until you settle into your new house and they get familiar with their surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

If the 2 pups are the same sex u might be better off crating them separately, having said that I crated my female gsd with a female lab for a few months and only had an issue with fighting on the first night. Female lab was spayed though so that might be the difference.

I'd get crates big enough to take them when fully grown, the issue of crating together or not really depends on the dogs and how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

RubyGirl wrote: »
    What breed are they op. I have a 5mt old lab and a year old lab x. At the moment they both share a crate. Eventually they will have to seperate but goes well now.

I would crate them both together for the minute, the only reason you need to crate is for moving purposes. So let them share for a couple of weeks until you settle into your new house and they get familiar with their surroundings.

One is a wheaten x according to the vet its wheaten/wolfhound x so a fairly big 30kg male already, and the bitch is a mutt. Both neutured.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    **Vai** wrote: »
    If the 2 pups are the same sex u might be better off crating them separately, having said that I crated my female gsd with a female lab for a few months and only had an issue with fighting on the first night. Female lab was spayed though so that might be the difference.

I'd get crates big enough to take them when fully grown, the issue of crating together or not really depends on the dogs and how they get on.

Male and female both neutured. They get on well and apart from the odd grumble (not growl) over one nicking the others toy but the big lump always gives in :D

Advertisement