Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unspayed cat got out

Options
  • 04-07-2011 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

hey, my unspayed cat got two days ago and Ive seen her tonight and last night. last night she was running around with a male cat. When i approached her, the two of them ran off in to the bushes. I saw her tonight and the same thing happened, except this time I saw her hiss at the male cat. When I got close the male cat hissed at me..
    again, they ran off in to some bushes where I couldnt get near her. I want her back because I dont want her pregnant and she hasnt been back to eat any food. I left some food out the back garden for her.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

She will no doubt come home, but when she does, get her spayed straight away or you will end up with kittens and there is already great difficulty in rehoming kittens (volunteer with a rescue group). Getting her spayed after she may have mated won't be much different to getting her spayed at a time when she hasn't mated.

How long have you had her for? Leaving food outside might just encourage her to stay out with this Tom cat rather than come indoors for food. Either way , when she returns, get her to the vet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

ive had her for about 10 months now. So should I take the food in? I thought the food might encourage her to come back to the garden where I can get her.
    the only time ive seen her is at night and thats the best time to look for her because it's the only time I can hear her bell in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP, at 10mths and not spayed id practically guarantee you she's pregnant or on the way to being by now redface.gif

Take the food in. It wont help that much, if at all unfortunately. Cats, both male and female are literally unstoppable when outside and believe me when i tell you female cats will make it their mission to get mated if in heat.

Ive gone through all of this at the start of this year with (my now neutered) female cat. She was a machine and a total pain!redface.gif The only thing you can do now is-get her in, get her spayed asap (could be in kitten though already). If not...get her spayed anyway. If shes too far advanced and has kittens you cant get her spayed for at least 4 weeks after having kittens (bleeding out due to engorged blood vessels).

No messing, unneuterd cats will stop at nothing and will completely ignore you until the deed is done. If you do get her in, get her to the vet asap or in less than 9 weeks you'll have a batch of kittens on your hand wink.gif

I dont do dramatics-this is fact, so you will have a big bundle of "fun" on your hands very soon if she doesnt get sorted!

thanks for the reply :)
    Ill take the food in now. Ill have another look around for her tomorrow. I just hope she returns home safely. There's alot of cats around this area and Im just very worried something will happen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im just very worried something will happen to her.
    I understand totally. This is why...have a read if you've time. Lessons learned all over the place with Molly. While she's not perfect (sure what cat is :D) i love her to bits now and would hate to see anything happen to her.

She's a nightmare though sometimes. I got her spayed,microchipped and vaccinated all at the same time. Its not ideal getting them vaccinated while under anaesthesia but i insisted on it. She was fine thank god. My other cat (Beanie) is "chipped" too but is collared so she follows him around outside. I worry about her because she still looks like a "stray" as there's loads around here that are definite strays and she blends straight in. Putting a collar on her is a total "no go"....7 mths later, and she's at least a year old by now.

It's my own fault for letting them out...so its the chance i take to be honest, albeit a good or bad one!

*sigh* have to stop worrying about them so much :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I'm sure she'll come home soon enough

I got her back. Went looking for her a few mins ago with her carrier cage and a bowl of food in hand. She came straight out to me. I assume it was easy because the white Tomcat was not around this time.
    she feels very light now. So i have her in the hall with our other cat eating away. Im just glad she's safe.
    She's gotten very quiet though.
    She normally makes a noise similar to that of a pidgeon when I talk to her and pet her. But not now.

Advertisement