Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallow sleeps over door

Options
  • 03-07-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if its the norm for a swallow to sleep over a back door. Just sleeps there every night. No nest. He did the same last year. He comes at the same time every night. Doesn't seem too bothered about us going in and out or the dog either. We live out in the country so no other houses near.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not typical of a Swallow. They normally roost communally on wires. House Martins do so in tress. Odd behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A bit odd alright. I wonder if it is a sick bird.

Edit: Just noticed the OP said the same thing happened last year as well.

Any chance there was a nest site anywhere nearby on the house last year or the year before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

I don't know about not having a nest, but there are about 9/10 nests scattered around our house near the gutters at the roof. They seem happy enough.

Offtopic: The other day one flew into our bathroom. When he calmed down I got a light hold of him and put him outside where he flew off happily enough :D It was deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭migemo

Thanks guys. Yeah loads of swallows around but no nests that we could find. Must be tho. Its def a male with really long tail. Am i right in thinking that the males group together at night while the females tend the nest? Hope he's not ill. kinda cool having him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi, there's a few pairs of swallows that have nests about the factory where i work, and they are now also roosting over the employee entrance with their fledged chicks for the past couple of weeks. Maybe they enjoy the activity? left work last night at 4am, and the noise out of them was crazy, I'd swear it was like your mother shouting up the stairs at you to shut up and go to sleep !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

My experience of the swallows around my home is that they have roosted at chosen nest site in advance of building.

Is it a male OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I have seen swallows live on ledges at head height in outhouses that regularly had people coming in and out. They didn't seem to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭migemo

Definitely a male and definitely a swallow. There are 3 sheds where they usually nest but haven't this year yet. Fab creatures. He stayed there for the whole of last summer. Will have a real good look over the weekend for nests. Thinking of calling him Gulliver.

Advertisement