Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found my first true fossil.

Options
  • 03-07-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Late Jurassic/Early Cretatious Belemnite.
    Found at the foot of White Rocks beach Port Rush. It's about an inch and a half lin, nicely cone shaped and a lovely amber colour. The matrix it's in shows where the remaining length lay. Pictures will follow as soon as I can get them off the camera without encrypting the darn things.....

But thats another story.

I found a couple of curios too, I'm not sure what they are, or even if they are fossils, but interesting non the less.

Next up, a nice Meg tooth.

That would be cool. However there is very little chance of that.

Oh well.....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lovely, now pics or GTFO. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

I think this is a belemnite

Same object different angles, and the last two are lord knows what. But interesting anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Anyone got any ideas what the last one is?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fossilized coral or sponge maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be thinking similar to G. A eroded and smoothed coral colony or sponge. Nice belemnite too :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement