Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in my house and I have 3 cats!

Options
  • 03-07-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I have a mouse in the house and 3 cats! Granted two of them are kittens! What do I do? I can't set traps or my cats will be caught! Help!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can get humane traps in B&Q and elsewhere. They basically allow the mouse to enter but it cannot leave again.

Check them twice a day and if you do catch the mouse, put the trap into a bag and drive somewhere open and far away from your house and let it out.

(wear rubber gloves to avoid mouse pee and any risk of bites)

Regular mouse traps can injure cats, dogs and kids if they are placed where they can be reached.

Also, cats don't necessarily catch mice. They can be really lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

we have the same problem every autumn my house does be full of mice and i have 2 cats, and mine aint kittens. i have tried everything but nothing stops them from coming in the house. i set traps and that catches them but this yr i would like to try and stop them coming in full stop. last yr while getting into the shower one ran across my foot. and if there is one think im absolutely scared of is mice.
    so sorry i cant help you but will be looking at your replies

We caught our cat bringing live field mice into the house a few times. We don't have any mouse problem, but the cat seems to think it's a great idea to actually carry them in through the cat flap!

I came up in the morning to find a very cute looking fluffy field mouse cowering in terror in the corner of the kitchen with the cat just looking at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Solair wrote: »
    We caught our cat bringing live field mice into the house a few times. We don't have any mouse problem, but the cat seems to think it's a great idea to actually carry them in through the cat flap!

I came up in the morning to find a very cute looking fluffy field mouse cowering in terror in the corner of the kitchen with the cat just looking at him!

Our cat brings home mice a lot! In fact he brought home a live mouse about 2 weeks ago. We managed to intercept him in our guest room and caught the mouse and brought it outside! He wouldn't have come back into a house with cats, right? So freaked out. We found a lot of mouse droppings! Could we have more than one mouse? All droppings were in same place!

Personally, I'd just go with the humane traps near where the droppings are being found.

Once you've caught a mouse, make sure you bring it far away from your home though as they will just come straight back in if you put them out in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Feed your cats a bit less audreyp. They might do a bit of hunting if they've more of an incentive.

Feed your cats a bit less audreyp. They might do a bit of hunting if they've more of an incentive.

One is already on a diet and he does eat mice, clearly not the ones inside the house!!! Such a nightmare, I'll put the traps near the droppings! My kittens will be ok with those traps? Can kittens hunt, they are 20 weeks old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I have a vision of 3 fat garfields, slobbed out on the sofa......licking lasange from their paws:D

can you exclude them from the room where the droppings are and just put a trap in it?

ppink wrote: »
    I have a vision of 3 fat garfields, slobbed out on the sofa......licking lasange from their paws:D

can you exclude them from the room where the droppings are and just put a trap in it?

:-D we saw the mouse in downstairs loo ( freaky) and the droppings in the kitchen! We can close off the loo easily enough but kitchen has their food and cat flap!! So really can't! So grossed out by mice in my clean house!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Do you know anyone who has ferrets? If so, borrow some ferret bedding and put it around the areas where you found the mouse droppings. The smell will run them out. My aunt had a problem with mice under her cooker, borrowed some ferret bedding from me and they were gone in about two days. In saying that, you can always borrow a ferret for a few days as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Maybe try one of the mouse plug in repelent things.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The trip traps mentioned above are great if you check them regularly and dont mind bringing them outsdoors to release the live mouse.
    If you place them along the side of presses etc they should be in locations where mice are passing by.
    If you get regular traps then just put them into places where your cats wont be (under kitchen sink, in hot press etc).
    If you dont succeed with either of these buy grain from any decent hardware store...the best type to buy is the pin head grain because its most suitable for mice.
    The untrasonic unit will only work for one room as long as the beam coming from it isnt blocked by furniture, walls etc and it may not be suitable with the cats.
    Your best option is to check your house and seal up any openings (however tiny) with wire wool/expanding foam etc, and keep your doors closed. Its a strange time of the year to be getting mice (probably beacuse the weather hasnt been warm)

solerina wrote: »
    The trip traps mentioned above are great if you check them regularly and dont mind bringing them outsdoors to release the live mouse.
    If you place them along the side of presses etc they should be in locations where mice are passing by.
    If you get regular traps then just put them into places where your cats wont be (under kitchen sink, in hot press etc).
    If you dont succeed with either of these buy grain from any decent hardware store...the best type to buy is the pin head grain because its most suitable for mice.
    The untrasonic unit will only work for one room as long as the beam coming from it isnt blocked by furniture, walls etc and it may not be suitable with the cats.
    Your best option is to check your house and seal up any openings (however tiny) with wire wool/expanding foam etc, and keep your doors closed. Its a strange time of the year to be getting mice (probably beacuse the weather hasnt been warm)

Thats the weird thing no openings. When my oh spotted the mouse in the loo he went other side of the toilet and vanished! He hasn't been seen since. Left all room doors open so hopefully my cat will find him. Going to get some traps tomorrow. I imagine he is in walls. So unusual we hadn't seen or heard anything given the amount of mice droppings he's been around a while!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have a mouse in the kitchen at the moment thanks to my cats. One of them regularly brings in mice and then gets bored and goes back out. The other is a killer, and I'm relying on her to catch it. So that's probably how your mouse got in. Try to leave the cats in the room where it is - that's my plan... when they get home. Brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No answers for ya here unfortunately. My 2 have brought loads of what look like various baby vole (long nosed) in here the last 2 weeks. :eek:

Beanie turned into a "nutjob" yesterday when Molly brought a dead one in. Ive never seen him so "happy". Ugh. :o

If you cut down their diet, you'll only encourage hunting and therefore tapeworm. Im not sure which is worse with them :p Im already getting their "presents" regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

+1 for the ferret bedding.I have friends with ferrets and they are always getting requests from people for the bedding it really seems to work as people are sending their friends to them as well.

I have never heard of that. I actually don't know anyone with Ferrets. I checked where we found the droppings yesterday and there were none this morning, so we think the mouse might have gone next door. Its hard to know! I'll get some humane traps in Woodies tonight hopefully.

It was very freaky sleeping in a house with a mouse in it last night, never expected to have to with 3 cats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

In my experience the humane traps do work, better than you might think. No risk to the cat and no risk to the ikkle mouse. Make sure you let it go far away from the house though :p

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I got those live capture traps from woodies. Put it where we saw the mouse and last night it caught him! I dropped to a park about 2 mile from my house, hope that is enough. I'm leaving the traps out in case it has a friend but I suspect its a mouse my cat brought in and got bored playing with it!! (Bold cat!)

Hopefully I can get some sleep tonight :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Get yourself a Jack Russell... my girl went hell for leather for a mouse here over the winter... while I was cowering terrified on the sofa!!!

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Get yourself a Jack Russell... my girl went hell for leather for a mouse here over the winter... while I was cowering terrified on the sofa!!!

:-D I am risking being blocked from boards but I don't like dogs :-P
    Strictly cat only person!

Some dogs are cute and fluffy and all, but I wouldn't put the work in required to keep a dog :-)

Advertisement