Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikram - I think I might hate it

Options
  • 03-07-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I was in class today and I had that, I don't need this ****feeling. Should i stick with it or go and find a nice mellow vinyasa class instead.
    Any long term Bikram(ers) here have any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I'm a bit of a Bikram fan. I still find it hard, and, even the initial breathing part is difficult for me, but I feel great afterwards and, I can see myself improving slowly but surely.

What is it that you're looking for, and what don't you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

I started out looking to increase my flexiblity, but have found the stress reduction and mental clarity to be the biggest part of it now (flexlbity, much better, but still poor).
    I could image once you know the poses that you could zone out, but right now there just bloody hard, that and the sequence is very defined so there's loads of internal pressure (in my head) to get it right, so ironically I find it stressfull and draining. Something like vinyasa just seems so much more forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Well, I don't speak for the Bikram community, but, if you were looking for relaxation, then I'd say that Bikram isn't the way to go initially.

I do find that, after a Bikram session, I feel chilled out and good about myself, but it is hard work. They welcome in complete beginners, but, I felt myself that I needed to work hard at it because, while you may sit down if you feel overwhelmed / overheated in the first two or three sessions, by the third / fourth session you should be getting into it. And, some of the poses are very difficult.

If you're looking for yoga to chill out and relax yourself as a beginner, (and this is just me), I'd go for something softer and work yourself up. Even a six week course to get you into it, and then go for Bikram.

There's no point in doing any form of yoga if you don't feel comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Thanks xoxyx, that sounds like good advise :),

I think I must be the goldie locks of yoga :o
    Hatha too slow, Bikram too hard, vinyasa just right :D.

Anybody got any experience of Iyengar yoga, look like vinyasa but slower? would that be right?

p.s. going to stick with vinyasa style yoga for now......bikram - your day will come

Advertisement