Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Carmel Shared Care?

Options
  • 03-07-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, Im researching different hospitals public & private currently. I want to go semi private or private. Mount carmel seem to have good packages at the moment, cheaper than previously from what Im reading. In relation to this shared care how much roughly does anyone know that I may have to fork out following delivery? I have private health insurance with Aviva which gives a grant in aid of up to 3,450 which private in a private hospital. Im not too sure what this covers and what extra's I would have to pay outside of insurance...If anyone knows more & could help me out I would greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is the information I recieved from mount carmel re Shared Care Package:

6 x GP visits (no cost under Infant and Maternity Care Scheme – if your GP does not offer this, we can recommend a GP for you)

5 x Consultant visits at €1700. Please see www.mountcarmelhospital.ie for the list of obstetricians at Mount Carmel Private Hospital.

2 nights semi private accommodation at Mount Carmel Private Hospital, 3 x pregnancy scans, 2 x pregnancy bloods, delivery fee for the hospital, an epidural if you plan to have one and your baby’s 6 week developmental check = €5024

Then deduct your grant of €4995 (which is how much my insurance company pays for) from €5024 = €29 (which is payable to the hospital 10 weeks before delivery)

Add €29 + €1700 = €1729

You are then entitled to 20% tax relief back when you complete a MED1 form which you can obtain on revenue.ie

The net cost would be €1383.20 after claiming back your tax relief. You would also need to check what your grant is with your insurance company directly. You may also be entitled to a further grant towards consultant fees which you then deduct from the above figure if you are.

If you were to have a C-section, your insurance provider should cover the cost of the procedure and also cover you for 5 nights semi-privately. What they won’t cover is the Baby Care Charge which is €177 per day x 5 = €885. If you wanted to opt for a private room for the 5 nights, the shortfall would be €135 per night x 5 = €675 (which is payable to the hospital 10 weeks before delivery).

Then add €885 + €1700 = €2585 (add €675 if opting for private room = €3260).

Again, you are then entitled to 20% tax relief back when you complete a MED1 form which you can obtain on revenue.ie

The net cost would be €2068 (€2608 for private room) after claiming back your tax relief.

We also offer a complimentary pregnancy support programme on Tuesdays from 2-4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I'm going with shared care in Mount Carmel under Gerry Rafferty. This is a copy of the email I got back when I enquired about prices.

'' Further to our conversation earlier, please see below the breakdown of the Shared Care Package:

5 x GP visits (no cost under Infant and Maternity Care Scheme – if your GP does not offer this, we can recommend a GP for you)
    5 x Consultant visits at €1500. Please see www.mountcarmelhospital.ie for the list of obstetricians at Mount Carmel Private Hospital.

2 nights semi private accommodation at Mount Carmel Private Hospital, 3 x pregnancy scans, 2 x pregnancy bloods, delivery fee for the hospital, an epidural if you plan to have one and your baby’s 6 week developmental check = €5024

Then deduct your grant of €3450 from €5024 = €1574 (which is payable to the hospital 10 weeks before delivery)
    Add €1574 + €1500 = €3074

You are then entitled to 20% tax relief back when you complete a MED1 form which you can obtain on revenue.ie

The net cost would be €2459.20 after claiming back your tax relief. You would also need to check what your grant is with your insurance company directly. You may also be entitled to a further grant towards consultant fees which you then deduct from the above figure if you are.

Then if you were to have a C-section, your insurance provider should cover the cost of the delivery of your baby as a medical procedure but what they wont cover is the Baby Care Charge of €177 per day x 5 = €885 + €1500 = €2385.
    Again, from here you would be entitled to 20% tax relief = €1908''

Hope this helps!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just an FYI but I'm with Aviva and when I enquired about extra cover if a C-Section was necessary, Aviva informed me that I get the grant in aid and that's it. If you need the section, you'll have to stay extra nights in the hospital and while the surgery itself is covered, the extra nights aren't, and from what I can remember when I enquired, they come in at roughly €500 per night for you, plus the charges for the baby's stay. :(

Basically your best bet is get the prices from Mount Carmel and ring Aviva to discuss EXACTLY what is covered, just so you don't get any nasty surprises on check out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Missy1981

Hi, most policies cover for five nights semi private in the event of a c-section at Mount Carmel. the only thing that you have to pay is the consultant fees and baby care which is €885 for the five nights. this is for semi private accommodation.

Advertisement