Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats in your stack of books waiting to be read?

Options
  • 03-07-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

The thread about bookshop mind control had me thinking that perhaps im not alone in purchasing books far faster then i can read them and now it would appear that quite a few boardsies have a huge collection of books next to their beds to get through. So whats in your unread collection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Are you serious? I would be days or weeks trying to post a list up here. It's just easier to say that whatever book the Book Depository sells, I probably have it. I've got some great recommendations from fellow boardsies. My latest purchases from TBD are The Game of Thrones by George Martin and The Pychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I recently bought another 2 books by Jon Ronson but now I can't remember what they are. I am trying to record what I've read this year, scary. I also read a fair few library books.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Are you serious? I would be days or weeks trying to post a list up here. It's just easier to say that whatever book the Book Depository sells, I probably have it. I've got some great recommendations from fellow boardsies. My latest purchases from TBD are The Game of Thrones by George Martin and The Pychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I recently bought another 2 books by Jon Ronson but now I can't remember what they are. I am trying to record what I've read this year, scary. I also read a fair few library books.

Currently reading Game of Thrones. It's brill! I'm so hooked now and it's not normal...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

How long have you got?
    It's just easier to say that whatever book the Book Depository sells, I probably have it.

Wow, you must own a lot of books. I presume that this means your bookcase is stocked with such volumes as Julian Montague's The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification, Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich by James A. Yannes, and - how could we forget - Alonso Durable's 101 Must-See Movies for Gay Men.

None of those titles would interest me, but I salute your wide-ranging and adventurous tastes.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Currently reading Game of Thrones. It's brill! I'm so hooked now and it's not normal...:p

I literary just finished Game of Thrones. I have thought long and hard about reading A Clash of Kings, in fear of ruining season two of the tv series. But after finishing GoT I can't wait to start ACoK.

Kinski wrote: »
    How long have you got?

Wow, you must own a lot of books. I presume that this means your bookcase is stocked with such volumes as Julian Montague's The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification, Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich by James A. Yannes, and - how could we forget - Alonso Durable's 101 Must-See Movies for Gay Men.

None of those titles would interest me, but I salute your wide-ranging and adventurous tastes.:pac:

However did you guess? I didn't want to bore you all by posting up all the titles. I'm looking forward to starting Game of Thrones now, I hear it's not normal..

Other titles on my book shelf -
    Nothing to Envy (about North Korea)
    A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink
    Enough is Enough and Ship of Fools by Fintan O'Toole
    A Race of a Lifetime by John Heilmann & Mark Halperin
    The hour I first Believed by Wally Lamb (I have most of his books)
    The Fourth Hand by John Irving (ditto )
    Engleby (Sebastian Faulks)
    Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

OK I'll stop now. Actually it's been a bit therapeutic for me to post up some of these titles. I figure I have about 300-400 books. I have a lot of them registered on Book Crossing anyway, and have some documented on www.shelfari.com also. Though I read them quicker than I can register them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I love Shelfari, I must update it though I get into a mood of putting up my books but never think about doing some reviews :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Haha, good point people. I like most of you probably have too many waiting to be read to be listed here but i thought i would post the question anyway.

I also just finished Game of Thrones and have Clash of Kings already bought and ready to be read but put it aside temporarily. Just finshed Starman, a biography of Yuri Gargarin and am about half way through metro 2033. After that though i think its back to the Starks and Lannisters for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I've piled up a load too lately, three books by Ken Follet, five by Philip K. Dick, Blue Mars (have to finish the trilogy) and The Stand by Stephen King, not too impressed by the Stephen King stuff I've read so far though, is The Stand any good?

I love the Stand, one of my favourite books. Stephen King's early books are good, some of the later ones are not great. I read The Stand years ago, and have lost a few copies as poeople never return it to me. I have just added it to my wish list as I'd like to read it again.

I presume your Ken Follett books are also hefty tomes? It sounds like a good summer ahead for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

None.
    I only buy books as I have time to read them-with the exception of every Christmas- I buy a book,wrap it and thoroughly enjoy opening it on Christmas morning.:)A little treat from me to me.
    Would get too frustrated if I had a pile of books awaiting my eager brain.No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Couple of Frederick Forsyth novels, a couple of biographies, and 'The Club'... Nothing major. Compared to a time when I had about a dozen books in the waiting list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

msthe80s wrote: »
    None.
    I only buy books as I have time to read them-with the exception of every Christmas- I buy a book,wrap it and thoroughly enjoy opening it on Christmas morning.:)A little treat from me to me.
    Would get too frustrated if I had a pile of books awaiting my eager brain.No thanks.

Yeah, this ^
    I'll buy books a few at a time and work through them but I won't buy a stack and leave them unread... would drive me up the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I have a giant stack of books that I have yet to read. I think there must be about 50 to 60 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I have the exact same problem. I once placed a moratorium on the buying of books until I had read all the outstanding ones I owned, and even had a list where I wrote those I would buy once I had achieved that goal, but I just can't help but go on a mini-spree every time I enter a bookshop. I swear, there should be some form of 12 steps programme for such an addiction! Still, apart from booze, cocaine, hookers, and gambling, it is my only vice...:D

Waiting for my reading delectation therefore, I have:

God's War by Christopher Tyerman
    The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
    Michael Collins by Tim Pat Coogan
    Rome by Robert Hughes
    The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins
    Europe's Tragedy by Peter H Wilson
    Talking Heads by Julian Barnes
    The Complete Pepys by Robert Latham
    The Reformation by Dermot McCollough
    The God Species by Mark Lynas
    The last three of the Game of Thrones series
    A Death in Tuscany by Michele Guttari

A load of books on the Franks which I should have read for college work, but haven't.

Also, almost all of that series on great modern literature that the Indo ran a few years back.

I actually feel somewhat comforted that I'm not alone, and that pthers are way worse than me!:D

Although, it begs the question, if I have all these to read, what the fup am I do hanging about here so much??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Einhard wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. I once placed a moratorium on the buying of books until I had read all the outstanding ones I owned

Only recently came to a similar conclusion which lasted about a day before i bought two more books. In my defense though, it was my first time in chapters, parnell street.

Sincerely now, no more books will be bought until the shelf beside my bed is cleared...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Also have the same problem of buying too many books. Every week I say no more but cannot help myself. I'd say I have at the very least 300 books that I have yet to read:o Have bought the "Song of Fire and Ice" (Game of thrones) books and hope to start them after finish reading A million little pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

In no particular order:

How to Live - A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer - by Sarah Bakewell

Alex's Adventures in Numberland by Alex Bellos

Coco Chanel - The Legend and the Life - by Justine Picardie

The Hare with Amber Eyes – Edmund de Waal

Against the Gods - The Remarkable Story of Risk - Peter L. Bernstein

Bel Canto - Ann Patchett

Currently reading:

The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World - Allen Greenspan

Ghost Light - Joseph O'Connor

Just finished:

Skippy Dies - Paul Murphy
    No and Me - Delphine de Vigan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Currently reading The Hobbit.
    Next is Labyrinth, then Sepulchre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heer
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest - Steig Larsson
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    Emma - Jane Austen
    Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (I don't know what it is about me but I struggle to read this. :pac:)

Haven't bought books in ages so my stack is way smaller than usual, and those classics have been sitting there for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Interpretation of a Murder
    Great Expectations
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Trainspotting
    36 Arguments for the Existence of God
    The Reader
    The Colour Purple
    Freakonomics
    The God Delusion
    Trick or Treatment?
    Car Fever (collection of James May articles)
    Driven to Distraction (Jeremy Clarkson articles)
    Stephen Fry - The Fry Chronicles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I bought a few books from Amazon which arrived yesterday. Here they are:

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis

Glamorama - Bret Easton Ellis

Lunar Park - Bret Easton Ellis

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk

Bright Lights, Big City - Jay McInerney

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger

I'm a bit of an Ellis fan after reading American Psycho. The same for Palahniuk after Fight Club. Some other books I didn't purchase but will eventually include 1984, Catch 22, and Animal Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭randomguy

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists - Robert Tressell
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
    The Balkan Trilogy - Olivia Manning
    Oh, Play That Thing - Roddy Doyle
    Room - Emma Donoghue
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - David Mitchell
    The Hare with the Amber Eyes - Edmund de Waal
    Team of Rivals - Doris Kearns Goodwin
    The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann (been there a long time now)
    The Shrimp and the Anemone - LP Hartley
    Oblivion - David Foster Wallace

And about 8 or 9 random second-hand books, including 2 which may be interesting:
    Small Crimes in an Age of Abundance - Matthew Kneale
    Borrowed Finery - Paula Fox

But I think I'll end up buying Slash's autobiography and reading it before I get around to any of these...

Advertisement