Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHOCKING McLeod Scandal of Biblical Proportions

Options
  • 03-07-2011 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

McLeod refused to shake some referee's hand! DUN DUN DUN.
    How disgraceful is that? I have been an avid snooker player since I was 3 and I believe that this incident is an insult to my life. Snooker is a very prestigious sport which requires much decorum. Letting such riff-raff play this sport should be a federal crime.

Edit: McLeod is a Muslim and did not want to shake the referee's hand because she was female and that disagrees with some religious belief. He is not meant to be in physical contact with a woman. But he started playing snooker knowing that this may be the case, and he should have known what he was getting himself into.

I urge ye all to contribute to my poll on how disgraceful you think this is.
    I also think McLeod may have eaten all of our Chips Ahoy. But that's irrelevant.

x 2 votes

x
    0% 0 votes
    x
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It might be worth adding that he is Muslim and did this due to his religious beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Mountain out of a molehill guys, its been instantly forgotten on the circuit.
    Michaela Tabb mentioned the other day that when she refs his matches, a nod to each other replaces the handshake.
    It's his religion let him get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

cork45 wrote: »
    It might be worth adding that he is Muslim and did this due to his religious beliefs.

So what? I could invent a religion right now with as much evidence of it being true as any currently existing and claim that I was required to punch in the face every 4th person I bumped into, would this be ok?

At best it was utter bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

So what? I could invent a religion right now with as much evidence of it being true as any currently existing and claim that I was required to punch in the face every 4th person I bumped into, would this be ok?

At best it was utter bad manners.

Bad manners on behalf of the ref I think, He's been in the game for a while and as a ref she should have known what to expect and should have respected his religious beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Disgraceful from McLeod, I'm disgusted. Where has sporting etiquette gone? And I thought that this was an honourable sport free from religious influence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't think religion has any place in sport, if you choose to compete then you accept the multi-culturism of the sport. If he's not going to acknowledge the referee with a handshake, then the players should show him the same courtesy (or lack of).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The Poll has been chopped, any more like that and you will be removed PACKYAK.

It's a bit of a non-issue in my opinion and there's no reason why someone religious beliefs like that shouldn't be respected.

I would imagine the referee hadn't got any idea about his beliefs at the time and she's probably rather embarressed with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

wrote:
    Michaela Tabb mentioned the other day that when she refs his matches, a nod to each other replaces the handshake.

You would think Verhaas or Tabb or any other referee or official at the venue would have organised to tip off the female referee about this before the game to stop this from occuring for the first place. Verhaas was on twitter to say it happened, pity he couldnt have been quicker to tell the girl beforehand to avoid a media storm.

Zhu didnt care about the incident, i read she even joked on her own blog that it helped save a bit of time!.

Advertisement