Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ferret vs gerbil

Options
  • 03-07-2011 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys i was thinking of getting a new pet but i cant decide between a gerbil and a ferret.what do you think would be the better choice and which would be easier for a beginner? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

There's a massive difference between the two. I'v never had ferrets but I think they can be likened to having rabbits or cats.

Gerbils are usually nice, they have to be kept in same sex groups as they are very social. Avoid wire cages and buy a big aquarium as they like to dig and build burrows, avoid all plastic toys and buy wooden toys as they will get chewed up and chewing plastic is bad for them. They pee very small amounts so are relatively clean non smelly pets but still need cleaning out every week (more or less depending which type of substrate you use). Iv only ever been bitten once and that was when I stupidly stuck my finger into the box to pet him just after I bought him. They are fast to handle and don't like to sit still and you really have to be on your toes with them, I lost one under my bed once when I let him run around on my bed and he fell off where my bed was pushed against the wall, found him after pulling everything out though! :D They also like to jump so can be hard to catch! Nice pets though I'd get a few more myself again if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

hi guys i was thinking of getting a new pet but i cant decide between a gerbil and a ferret.what do you think would be the better choice and which would be easier for a beginner? thanks.

Osmosis; I've had gerbils. I've also had ferrets. Lots of experience with ferrets.

Ferrets are the most fantastic creatures. But; If ye looking for a 'Pet', for a 'Beginner'? Get some gerbils.

Frankly speaking though? If ye into handling these new pets and interacting with them a lot? Then I'd say rats, above gerbils.

Gerbils tend to live inside their own heads. Rats are more forthcoming and will learn to respond to ye. Even learn their own names.

Just, please, don't Ever try to keep ferrets and rodents in the same vicinity. It'll end in tears.

Advertisement