Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driftwood

Options
  • 03-07-2011 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know what beach I could find driftwood at ?

Really need some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fehenry

According to a friend who comes from the Aran Islands, a good place to find what you are looking for is Dollymount Strand.
    A lot depends on tidal conditions and wind direction so you'll need a bit of local knowledge before setting out for the place.
    It seems ships unloading nearby at Dublin Port often lose a good deal of timber overboard and if conditions ar right, it can wind up on this strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

fehenry wrote: »
    According to a friend who comes from the Aran Islands, a good place to find what you are looking for is Dollymount Strand.
    A lot depends on tidal conditions and wind direction so you'll need a bit of local knowledge before setting out for the place.
    It seems ships unloading nearby at Dublin Port often lose a good deal of timber overboard and if conditions ar right, it can wind up on this strand.

Thank you very much for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

fehenry wrote: »

if you go for a dip off Bull wall its not unusual to swim into a bit of it coming down from the Tolka.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 munchkin123

Hi, I see there is a post about driftwood going back to 2010. Just wondering if there are any other beaches that are good for driftwood as I need some for an art project.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

As a regular walker of beaches in North Dublin, I would say all of them have the odd large piece of driftwood every now and then. After a storm/high tide is a good time to look. They can be very, very heavy so not sure how you’d get it to your car.

I’ve only ever seen one really nice one though, on Dollymount Beach, years ago after a storm. The next day there was a private car collecting it. They had gotten through the gates of the barriers that usually stop cars going on the beach. That tells me that someone has a contact on DCC that lets them know when one turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Blessington lakes has some too

Advertisement