Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for a new install Pond

Options
  • 02-07-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently completed the install of a garden pond. Nicely situated in a corner with not too much shade. Been going on for some weeks now. The filtration system (gravity fed with UV light) has gotten on top of things and the water has been lovely and clear for some time now.

I have a few established edging plants. A type of varigated grass. There is one floating plant bobbing about and 1 water lily (Mrs. Diverdads request).

The water is fed back into the pond via two small ponds/pools created in a rock formation with shaped lead sheeting (clean and unused, leftovers from a none too recent extentsion). This incidently is a great source of fun and frolics for the smaller garden birds. I'd never seen a Sparrow, Starling or Trush take a 'shower' before but they seem to love it jumping under the small water drops and wallowing in the pools.
    I'm not worried and there hasn't been incidences of bird poo about.

I introduced 8 goldfish into the (aprox)500lt pond and they seem to be happy and well at home. They were some beautiful fan tailed/finned ones coupled with some gold lads with some interesting black patches to them. I'm happy enough with the overall result. :cool:

However, a few questions;
    1) The fish disappear into the depths of the pond when I approach to feed them. I'm aware that they can 'feel' my approach but they don't rise to be fed as I observed them do in the pet store. Can they be 'trained' out of this hiding habit?

2) The lily was planted last May and has 4 small leaves on the surface and a number of others on the way to the surface. Its triving. I was wondering when I could expect to see this flowering (Mrs Diverdad is waiting patiently but now asking for reports daily :) )

3) Are there any type of bottom feeder/alge eaters which could be recommended for an Irish Garden Pond?

4) What is the value (if any) of watersnails in the pond?

5) Are coldwater crayfish hardy enough for this climate?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

However, a few questions;
    1) The fish disappear into the depths of the pond when I approach to feed them. I'm aware that they can 'feel' my approach but they don't rise to be fed as I observed them do in the pet store. Can they be 'trained' out of this hiding habit?
    The fish have now stopped hiding and are feeding from my fingers. They are well settled and seem to be very happy and active.

2) The lily was planted last May and has 4 small leaves on the surface and a number of others on the way to the surface. Its triving. I was wondering when I could expect to see this flowering.
    There are now multiple leaves on the surface providing endless amusement for the fish. Two buds broke the surface and opened. Very beautiful. They are closely followed by 3 more on the way.

3) Are there any type of bottom feeder/alge eaters which could be recommended for an Irish Garden Pond?
    I arrived at the conclusion that Tench would be good for the pond and have gotten positive feedback on them as community pond fish. I held out for gGolden Tench but they were an insipid pale yellow while the Green Tench were an irridesent smooth slivery green. I got two Green Tench.

4) What is the value (if any) of watersnails in the pond?
    Very little it would appear from asking around.

5) Are coldwater crayfish hardy enough for this climate?
    Yes. However I'd have to lower the water considerably to keep the feckers in the pond.

Some new Questions........
    While cleaning out the pond I found a large number of leeches under the housing. Is there an effective way to get rid of these?

The Green Tench are very recent and lost their sparkle after transfer to the pond. Is there a chance of them turning pale silvery green again?

Heading into Winter is it safe enough to leave them in the pond?

I was told/read somewhere that they will go into hibernation at around 5 degrees C. It never mentioned winter feeding or building up the fish to be sustained over the winter. Are fattened up fish more likely to get through the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

diverdad wrote: »

Heading into Winter is it safe enough to leave them in the pond?

I was told/read somewhere that they will go into hibernation at around 5 degrees C. It never mentioned winter feeding or building up the fish to be sustained over the winter. Are fattened up fish more likely to get through the winter?

You shouldn't have any problem with them in the winter. I've had a goldfish in my small garden pond for years and he survived last winter with no supplementary feeding, although I did worry that the pond would freeze solid. Happily the snow on top seemed to act as an insulator.

Advertisement