Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - SWALLOWS NEST FELL

Options
  • 02-07-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there, sorry for the capital title just thought it might be hard get replies in this thread at this time. A swallows (I think they're swallows - picture attached) nest attached to our house as fallen. They were on the ground outside the door and the nest beside them they looked pretty bad and couldn't really walk. I've picked up the nest put it on the windowsill and gently put the chicks into the nest in the hope the mother will find them there (just under drain pipe).

Can anyone offer any advice to help these? Or should I just take my chances leaving them on the windowsill. I think they will be dead my morning if the mother doesn't come.

Thread also at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73096402#post73096402

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

desodon wrote: »
    Hi there, sorry for the capital title just thought it might be hard get replies in this thread at this time. A swallows (I think they're swallows - picture attached) nest attached to our house as fallen. They were on the ground outside the door and the nest beside them they looked pretty bad and couldn't really walk. I've picked up the nest put it on the windowsill and gently put the chicks into the nest in the hope the mother will find them there (just under drain pipe).

Can anyone offer any advice to help these? Or should I just take my chances leaving them on the windowsill. I think they will be dead my morning if the mother doesn't come.

Thread also at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73096402#post73096402

I'm no expert, but any way you could secure it back it its original place as soon as possible, get a neighbour with a ladder to help if needs be, the parents will be circling nearby. Try to secure it with something so it does not fall again.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭desodon

I'm no expert, but any way you could secure it back it its original place as soon as possible, get a neighbour with a ladder to help if needs be, the parents will be circling nearby. Try to secure it with something so it does not fall again.

Ah their the isn't a hope I wouldn't know where to start. The nest is pretty messed up/pretty loose. I would be trying to glue/attach the nest to cement/plastic drainpipe - I think I would wreck what is left of the nest it in the process. Also where it dropped from must be about 25/30 ft. It's a country farmhouse - 2nd floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

desodon wrote: »
    Ah their the isn't a hope I wouldn't know where to start. The nest is pretty messed up/pretty loose. I would be trying to glue/attach the nest to cement/plastic drainpipe - I think I would wreck what is left of the nest it in the process. Also where it dropped from must be about 25/30 ft. It's a country farmhouse - 2nd floor.

Hopefully some bird experts here might have an answer, maybe the parents might return to a makeshift nest, lower down, combined with box of some type for example for a bit of protection if its in bad shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your best bet (and I suspect as the nest is outside on a wall, that they are House Martins) is to get the nest as high as possible, even onto the roof below where they fell from. Ideally, fit a ledge to the wall as high as possible and sit the nest on it.

If you can't do this just leave it where you can. You did all you could and the loss of a nest is a natural thing that happens quite often. Always sad to lose a nest of chicks but in nature the survival of the breeding adults is a much greater concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Your best bet (and I suspect as the nest is outside on a wall, that they are House Martins) is to get the nest as high as possible, even onto the roof below where they fell from. Ideally, fit a ledge to the wall as high as possible and sit the nest on it.

If you can't do this just leave it where you can. You did all you could and the loss of a nest is a natural thing that happens quite often. Always sad to lose a nest of chicks but in nature the survival of the breeding adults is a much greater concern.

100% agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sineadom

just saw your post and am wondering if the parents are feeding the chicks now? or what happened? i know of a starling chick that fell out of its nest and my friend put it in a box on a windowsill and the parents came every day to feed it until it could fly.

Advertisement