Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO increased sightings..... Fact/Fiction/...

Options
  • 02-07-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

... if so, why?

Why do we deny their existence.?

Why do we want to believe they're here, and actually care/want/need/ something from us?

Is it really all about control?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i have heard of CB thanks for the link though.

Mainly through the likes of Palmists/Tarot Readers etc....

But what are your thoughts on some of the 'evidence' put forth in that youtube vid..?

AFAIK the Jerusalem one is definitely a fake... haven't seen some of the others...

anyone..?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Regarding the increase in sightings.. well there's always been loads of supposed sightings. The internet and the speed at which information is disseminated is probably responsible for the perceived rise in occurrences.

It's the same as when the recent reports of mass animal deaths around the world.. stuff like that has always happened, but because of the internet more people become aware of more things, more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

CiaranMT wrote: »

Surely both "sides" on this forum are guilty of this in equal measure, even if members of each side are certain the other side are far more prone to it, those imbiciles, tch:rolleyes:

UFO doesn't mean alien last time I looked, just unidentified flying object.
    UFO's exist for sure, things in the sky we can't classifiy are real, aliens msot probably do exist somewhere, but are they joy riding over our heads? Thats a lot more difficult to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

thebullkf wrote: »
    i have heard of CB thanks for the link though.

Mainly through the likes of Palmists/Tarot Readers etc....

But what are your thoughts on some of the 'evidence' put forth in that youtube vid..?

AFAIK the Jerusalem one is definitely a fake... haven't seen some of the others...

anyone..?

The Norwegian one (which looks amazingly cool, but nothing like a space vessel) is believed to be a stage from a Russian rocket or missile test that has gone wrong, although unsurprisingly the Russians have denied it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_8MVctp30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i5Fch6_4u0

(actually, looking at the RT clip, it says that they are 'not linking them' (yet), as opposed to denying a link)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

the norwegian and russian 'flower' type fprmation are the best i have to say.....

as to what they really are... *shrugs ahoulders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Blinkety blink. Date/time stamps on a film reel?

nullzero wrote: »
    Surely both "sides" on this forum are guilty of this in equal measure, even if members of each side are certain the other side are far more prone to it, those imbiciles, tch:rolleyes:

You'll have to explain how the skeptic side suffers from confirmation bias on the same level as the CT side.
    UFO doesn't mean alien last time I looked, just unidentified flying object.
    UFO's exist for sure, things in the sky we can't classifiy are real, aliens msot probably do exist somewhere, but are they joy riding over our heads? Thats a lot more difficult to prove.

Precisely, but what will happen a lot of the time is that people will automatically assume that the UFO is an extra-terrestrial ship.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Precisely, but what will happen a lot of the time is that people will automatically assume that the UFO is an extra-terrestrial ship.

Confirmation bias.

Let Wiki introduce you to the idea.

Anecdotal I know, but that is the tendency.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Anecdotal I know, but that is the tendency.
    I was just joking with you Ciaran, apologies if you picked me up wrong...and OP.

I was just joking with you Ciaran, apologies if you picked me up wrong...and OP.

I was aware. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

A hell of a lot of these "ufo videos" I see on Youtube are chinese lanterns and led kites and remote control planes with leds. Genuinely puzzling sightings are still rare as hens teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You'll have to explain how the skeptic side suffers from confirmation bias on the same level as the CT side.

The highlighted text is hilarious.
    The sceptic side discounts things out of hand when often the things they dismiss cannot be proven or disproven, thus falling back on their own opinions as oppossed to facts.
    There's a defeinite air of a superiority complex about the way sceptics address the CT side on this forum, as if to even entertain the idea of a IT as viable is to admit some terrible mental retadation. Funnily enough I've seen the same sceptic intelligentsia fall arse over tit on enough occassions to know that their supposedly higher level of reasoning as intelligence to be nothing more than a facade for the most part.

My original point lampooned the idea that both sides see the other as suffering more from confirmation bias, you're either joining in the joke or else you're serious which you have a right to be.

Diverging opinions are common place in human interaction, the ability to respect peoples right to differ with you is often something that is sadly over looked by many and can be a valuable tool for those who wish to explain their beliefs to others which can be made easier by showing respect for the other person as oppossed to beating them over the head with your opinions.

I'm not so sure that "a lot of the time" people see a UFO and think "aliens", perhaps you're just assuming that as I'd guess that most people would rather rationalise a UFO sighting than go down the route of sensationalism which would leave them open to ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Hollywood has a hell of a lot to do with the way people interpit or explain certain situations, when was the last time you saw a ufo in a movie that wasn't alien in origin...!? Its almost a form of social conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ziycon wrote: »
    Hollywood has a hell of a lot to do with the way people interpit or explain certain situations, when was the last time you saw a ufo in a movie that wasn't alien in origin...!? Its almost a form of social conditioning.

Personally I blame H.G Wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Ziycon wrote: »
    Great question really....... ''independence day'' or was that alien-ship to begin with !?
    ''iron man'' would you call iron man a ufo because he flys,... before he came out and told everyone !?:rolleyes:

i don't watch alot of B-movies:D.

Had forgotten about this thread..
    nullzero wrote: »
    The highlighted text is hilarious.
    The sceptic side discounts things out of hand when often the things they dismiss cannot be proven or disproven, thus falling back on their own opinions as oppossed to facts.
    There's a defeinite air of a superiority complex about the way sceptics address the CT side on this forum, as if to even entertain the idea of a IT as viable is to admit some terrible mental retadation. Funnily enough I've seen the same sceptic intelligentsia fall arse over tit on enough occassions to know that their supposedly higher level of reasoning as intelligence to be nothing more than a facade for the most part.

Fire out an example of us skeptics suffering confirmation bias :P
    I'm not so sure that "a lot of the time" people see a UFO and think "aliens", perhaps you're just assuming that as I'd guess that most people would rather rationalise a UFO sighting than go down the route of sensationalism which would leave them open to ridicule.

Indeed. Those who go the sensationalism route are the ones who end up in CT though. These are the people I'm referring to when I wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Heres an interesting video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

This is one of the best UFO videos I've ever seen! You can watch it in 720p on youtube. Modern cameras are great because usually everything is a blur.

What do you skeptics think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

profitius wrote: »
    This is one of the best UFO videos I've ever seen! You can watch it in 720p on youtube. Modern cameras are great because usually everything is a blur.

What do you skeptics think?

Isnt that a viral promo for a new movie?

Advertisement