Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming a puppy?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Puppy born 4 weeks ago, still feeding off the bitch (terrier size, in case that matters) I've noticed a string of what I can only presume are worms in the puppy box. (I wont post a pic in case people are eating:p) Question is 3 fold: (1) How old does a puppy have to be before administrating worm medication? (2) What medication will I get? and (3) where will I get it?
    Any other tips would be most welcome too.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

You can worm them from 2 weeks up.

Encysted larvae are often present and can be passed to the puppies, while in the uterus and by nursing. Make sure the worming medication you get is for puppies, if you're unsure the safest way is to take the puppies to the vet. Puppies have to have one worming tablet each month for a year and then it's every 3 months afterwards.

Make sure you worm the bitch as well so she wont be able to pass it to them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Puppies 4 to 12 weeks of age should be wormed every two weeks.

From age 12 weeks to 6 months puppies should be wormed monthly

From 6 months onward dogs and puppies should be wormed every 3 months.

i have a litter of pups thats 3 weeks old at the moment and i worm young pups up to 7-8 weeks old with parazole it can be got in vets and in most chemists that stock some vet supplies and find it dose the job very well its about €7 for 100mls
    http://www.mullinahonecoop.ie/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=DOG00270

or you can get milbemax puppy and that can be got at your local vets for about €2 a tablet
    http://www.animalmedicationdirect.co.uk/milbemax-wormer-tablets-dog-or-puppy-small-dog-strengths-pr-79.html

or you can get a product called strong hold and that covers both worms and fleas in one treatment and thats about €10 for a little tube

Advertisement