Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastering help please

Options
  • 02-07-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I often see people on here who are offering or who have offered to master a song for free and Im wondering if there is anyone who will master my song for free ?
    I have only ever got a segment of a song mastered and I have doubts about how good mastering can make a song ...

Anyone want to prove me wrong and master my song biggrin.gif ? Its a techno / trance remix of " what is love " .

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Drenalin wrote: »
    I often see people on here who are offering or who have offered to master a song for free and Im wondering if there is anyone who will master my song for free ?
    I have only ever got a segment of a song mastered and I have doubts about how good mastering can make a song ...

Anyone want to prove me wrong and master my song biggrin.gif ? Its a techno / trance remix of " what is love " .

Thanks in advance !

Why? Mastering is hugely important...a good master can really bring a tune to life, especially depending on the format of it's release.

You'll probably have more luck in the Production forum i would say mate.

For what it's worth, i'd never drop money for a track that has no mastering done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Drenalin wrote: »
    I have doubts about how good mastering can make a song ...

Mastering can't make a bad track a good track. That's not what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

iv read loads about mastering and interviews with pole but still only have a vague idea of what mastering is. they receive the track fully made yeah? like not in separate stems or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

xdeletiax wrote: »
    iv read loads about mastering and interviews with pole but still only have a vague idea of what mastering is. they receive the track fully made yeah? like not in separate stems or whatever?

Mixing - seperate stems, setting levels, processing individual parts, etc

Mastering - fully made track, EQing, compression and limiting. Mastering is half to simply make the track louder (while keeping it at the same volume) and half to make it sound better by emphasizing certain frequencies.

For bands etc, it's generally the engineer, not the artist, who does the mixdown and the mastering, but for dance music, the artist does the mixdown, and then sends it to be mastered. I think that's why people get confused about what it is.

if your able to mix down shouldnt you be able to master? or do you need specific hardware that cant be digitally replicated or magic ears or something? iv listened to tracks pre and post master and the difference is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Drenalin

Mastering can't make a bad track a good track. That's not what it's for.

Thats not what I was saying .I mean mastering can improve a track from how it already sounds .

Heres the unfinished song if anyones interested in mastering it let me know and I'll send you the finished version :

[HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Please tell me you're a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Drenalin

What are you on about ?

speaking of remixes of old 90s tracks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxhjM_O09M

like that very much

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

Speaking as a producer, mastering of the track is easiest done while producing the track in the software that you used. Fl Studio, Cubase, Logic etc. Since you can EQ all the separate parts of your track: Kicks, synths etc. Also all music production softwares have the neccessary plugins included in order for you to master your track as much as you can.
    For professional tracks mastering is done in studios by professional sound engineers. All you can do is learn the basics of Equalizing and compressing to make your track sound good. If you used FL Studio, you can send me the flp file and I'll do my best to master it for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement