Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android App developers wanted to join incubation group

Options
  • 02-07-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am currently in the process of getting a group of app developers together to work on a number of different app ideas.

Investors have already agreed to invest a small initial sum once a suitably qualified group is formed.

We are looking for business minded developers who will also contribute ideas towards the direction of the apps - it is also expected that the group will come up with new app ideas during sessions.

Initially, it is not the intention of investors to spend the funds on wages but instead to cover all other costs. Each group member will get an equity stake in each app they contribute to. It is possible that one app might become the main focus and a business within itself.

Please pm me if you are interested.

thanks,

UDM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

akaUlly wrote: »
    Initially, it is not the intention of investors to spend the funds on wages but instead to cover all other costs.

Rent, mortgages, phone bills, petrol & food ?
    Each group member will get an equity stake in each app they contribute to.

Have heard that one before and to say "it didn't end well" would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 akaUlly

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Initially, it is not the intention of investors to spend the funds on wages but instead to cover all other costs.

Rent, mortgages, phone bills, petrol & food ?
    Each group member will get an equity stake in each app they contribute to.

Have heard that one before and to say "it didn't end well" would be an understatement.

Yes all other costs directly associated with developing the apps. If you don't know what these might be then I suggest you find out before making sarcastic comments.

And so you heard about a similar story that didn't end well. Let me enlighten you, if every attempt was successful then there would be no risk and hence no reward. If you think investors would pay wages/ hrly rates during product development stage then you don't have much business sense.

You should go back to commenting on the political forums where you are more used to getting away with talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "it didn't end well"

Usually its someone else's idea anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I think its a great idea to bring together a group of app developers to collaborate and come up with ideas and products.

In saying that I am a little perplexed as to where the investors come into the equation.
    How it reads to me is that you want to get together a group of programmers to spend a couple of hundred hours working for nothing creating products and then when these investors are sure they are onto a hit they will invest and I assume get a nice % of the business. If this is the scenario the developers are carrying all the risk.

If the scenario is as above its not too far removed from the the scenario most programmers have come across at some stage in their careers where one of their mates (who probably works in sales and marketing) has a fantastic idea for a business, the idea invariably is that some brilliant software is created and when it its finished, he/she will do all the sales. Guess who normally gets fcuked over in these situations.

I would be much more likely to work for a startup if the scenario was like this:
    Say you are an investor and you have a brilliant idea but only have 100k to spend.
    You estimate the idea will take 4 good programmers between 6 months to a year before the software is finished and making money.
    Say these 4 programmers could earn 50k per year on the open market your 100k investment will not cover the cost running the team.
    The cost of running the team of 4 is 200K per year.
    A common solution to this problem is to offset the staff cost with a stake in the business. Offer each of the four developers a salary of 25K and 12.5% of the business.

In the end the investor has 50% of the business and each of the developers gets 12.5%.
    The developers are likely to be away more motivated if they have a stake in the business and as there is real money involved everyone is focused on making it a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

it costs 25 dollars to register as an android developer and release apps, 99 dollars for apple apps.

it costs approx 1600 euro a month to service the average mortgage, then there's educating your children, feeding them, clothing them, buying birthday cakes. Maybe you might want to spend some money on toiletries. Then theres tax, social tax, prsi, levies, bank charges, vat.....

Ill stop at this point and just say the op is probably best suited to teenagers who are willing to learn lessons in life, and what good is 12.5 % of a venture that the owner doesn't know how to market and the idea is so widespread that there are open source solutions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What costs exactly? If you mean an office, electricity/Internet and so on, then this is an indulgence that a boot-strap venture does not actually need. You can set up a home office for next-to-nothing, after which all you need is somewhere for meetings, which you can also rent for very little if the need arises.

So you really need to explain what significant costs there are.
    Each group member will get an equity stake in each app they contribute to. It is possible that one app might become the main focus and a business within itself.
    I understand where you're coming from; creating some form of hot-house 'think-tank' for apps, that brings together the 'best' minds and generates concepts, prototypes with a view to one or more commercial apps that are 'owned' by those who contributed to them...

...and some investors who didn't really do anything.

However you actually don't need anything as complex as you're suggesting for this. One could simply set up an fairly informal group that meets in a pub and people pitch app ideas (after which others can offer to contribute) and otherwise brainstorm. Of course, I say fairly, because you would probably still require some form of NDA that all participants would have to sign before being allowed to attend.

So if you're simply looking to do this, then there are less complex ways of going about it (which is why I don't get where these 'costs' are coming from). If you're looking to invest a minimum and take a cut of any idea that takes hold from such a group, then forget it - I can't see many falling for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This sounds really like one of those situations where someone has an idea for 'the next big thing !!!', but has no money to fund it so they ask for a developer to work for free in exchange for equity.

In your case though it seems that you don't even have the idea for 'the next big thing !!!', in fact you are asking the developers to bring their ideas to the table as well. Tbh I find it hard to see what value you are offering to the developer.

Keep in mind that everything has a value. The developer's skills and time have a certain value. And in the first type of situation the proposer's intellectual property has a value, although it's actual value is pretty uncertain, it's a risk based prospect which may be worth nothing or may be worth a huge amount. But this allows the the proposer and the developer to negotiate a deal based on their percieved values of the IP, skills and time.

In your situation you appear to be asking the developer to bring most of the value, the rest is brought by investors. In most cases I would think that a developer with a marketable idea would be able to approach investors themselves, possibly with a completed app or prototype.

What do you you offer a potential investor over that?

edit: oops meant to say a 'potential developer'

Advertisement