Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows vista activation key code

Options
  • 02-07-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭

hi, my laptop went faulty recently,i took it to a friend my who fixed it but he had to put on a fresh operating system(vista basic), a month on now its asking me for a activation key number whiich i dont have.
    if i brought the vista upgrade with activation key and put this on ,would this solve my problem?
    thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

If vista came with the computer there'll be a sticker somewhere on the computer with the activation code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My original was vista premier,this became corrupted ,so he wipe it and put on vista basic, the sticker on the back of my laptop is for the original vista
    which cant work with the vista basic.
    thks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

nig1 wrote: »
    My original was vista premier,this became corrupted ,so he wipe it and put on vista basic, the sticker on the back of my laptop is for the original vista
    which cant work with the vista basic.
    thks

He should have installed Vista Premier so that you could use the same number.

Who was the laptop manufacturer, and was there a recovery partition on the hard-drive?

Its toshiba satelite pro 2yrs old ,didnt come with any recovery disc,but i made a recovery disc from the laptop when new as recomended, but his didnt help.
    problem was on start up, would come up wtih a black screen and a moving cursor,could do nothing with it,so he reinstalled another version of vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

hi, my laptop went faulty recently,i took it to a friend my who fixed it but he had to put on a fresh operating system(vista basic), a month on now its asking me for a activation key number whiich i dont have.
    if i brought the vista upgrade with activation key and put this on ,would this solve my problem?
    thks

Did he charge you for this OS? Is it only a trial or is it a proper OS?

If it's not a trial and you just need to activate it :confused: try using LicenseCrawler to see what your key is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Its toshiba satelite pro 2yrs old ,didnt come with any recovery disc,but i made a recovery disc from the laptop when new as recomended, but his didnt help.
    problem was on start up, would come up wtih a black screen and a moving cursor,could do nothing with it,so he reinstalled another version of vista.

If I were in your position I'd contact Toshiba and get them to send you a recovery disc. I've no idea how much they charge, but it will be a lot less than paying for the operating system that your pal stuck you with.

http://ie.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/home/

There is the possibility that the Recovery Partition still exists on the hard drive.

Here is a link which might be worth a try..

It involves restoring the existing OS which came with the laptop, so it would be advisable to backup any important files before so.

he didnt charge for this os, i think it maybe its the one on his machine.
    I downloaded a key founder programme last night and it came up with the key number, which didnt work.
    i did make a toshiba recovery dics when i got the laptop from new but this didnt help.
    i think he just wipe the hard drive and put his os on to get it working, only way to get it working.
    the laptop works ok now,but reminds me i need to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Now might be a good time to upgrade to Windows 7
    via the Software4Students.ie upgrade disc for €45.
    32-bit upgrade; http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_32_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx
    (Read the terms, but a broad section of people will qualify for it these days.)

You'll be able to do a clean install using that disc and there'll be no problem activating it as the laptop had a previous windows install on it.

Advertisement