Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee hive in bird house!

Options
  • 02-07-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Went outside today and noticed there was some sort of duct tape around our small bird house...

Turns out its not duct tape and it's actually a bee hive!! I was well tempted to give it a wallop but I have stood on a bee hive before and learned of the consequences.

Is this a common occurance?

**Childish Question: Can I get any honey from it? :o

B.

PICTURE:
    14izhuc.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I think thats a wasp nest you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah looks likes wasps to me! Good luck getting any honey out of them f**kers lol!!! At least the house is hanging down on wire/a hook - should be easier to clip it and have it drop down into something? We had one in our kitchen roof a few years back and got exterminators in to sort it - done and dusted (excuse the pun lol) in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You got wasps I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi Barry, if you scroll back a few pages there was a post about bee's the guy had trouble with a swarm stopping off out his back garden

He ended up getting these out to help him out, and said they are great

http://www.dublinbeekeepingservices.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

P.s I wouldnt go near that hive!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

that wasp on the underside of the nest looks huge hate those feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Metal bucket full of petrol.Get well wrapped up--motorcycle helmet,decent gloves,welly boots,tape the wrists to the gloves and ankles of your trousers to the wellies.
    Find the entrance that theyre using,fill it with expanding foam first and then drop nest into the bucket of petrol thats on fire.

Do it at night time when theyre slower and save yourself a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Metal bucket full of petrol.Get well wrapped up--motorcycle helmet,decent gloves,welly boots,tape the wrists to the gloves and ankles of your trousers to the wellies.
    Find the entrance that theyre using,fill it with expanding foam first and then drop nest into the bucket of petrol thats on fire.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_17269.htm
    Might be safer than messing with buckets of flaming petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

this advice seems like an accident waiting to happen :D ,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

this advice seems like an accident waiting to happen :D ,

Ive done it twice now.As long as you do it at night-not even night at dusk when theyre slowed down from the cooler temps you cant really go wrong.

The expanding foam stops them getting at you and the petrol kills instantly.

First time I did it without the expanding foam and the little fookers were flying around on fire.That was interesting.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_17269.htm
    Might be safer than messing with buckets of flaming petrol.

Found those type of products useless.Youre supposed to spray the nest from 10-15 feet and its supposed to soak right through it.Its almost impossible to aim that nozzle 15 feet and even if you did manage to get the whole can right onto the nest it definately doesnt soak it right through.A wasp nest is made up of a huge amount of layers and if you ever felt one it feels like a spongy solid wood.

Believe me I tried this stuff before and found it almost impossible to use.I also rang one of those removal crowds and they wanted 200 euros to get rid of a nest--200 euros which I didnt have at the time to be totally honest.

The flaming petrol isnt really necessary.Any type of chemical that will kill them on contact you could use.A bucket of bleach/caustic soda would probably do the same job but it may not soak through all the layers.The petrol will just burn the nest into ashes in a couple of minutes.A safer bet might be a slower burning fuel.Diesel would be safer as would BBQ lighting fluid.Hell even a bucket with one of those fire logs already lighting would do the trick.Its all about getting the nest into the flames as fast as possible.

In the OPs case--if it was me Id probably try unhook the nest at that hook and lower it into the flames.You could probably do that with a long pole.

In both the nests I had they were under eaves of a shed and I had no choice but to grab them by hand and just throw them into the bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

Ive done it twice now.As long as you do it at night-not even night at dusk when theyre slowed down from the cooler temps you cant really go wrong.

The expanding foam stops them getting at you and the petrol kills instantly.

First time I did it without the expanding foam and the little fookers were flying around on fire.That was interesting.
    LOL.:pac: that would have been worth filming, and shove it up on utube,that ill teach em not to mess with you!:pac::pac:

LOL.:pac: that would have been worth filming, and shove it up on utube,that ill teach em not to mess with you!:pac::pac:

It was filmed and still photo`d but they never came out.Think the heat fooked up the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wasn't going to post but someone might follow the petrol advice & end up scarred for life.

If you are going to do it yourself, as I have many times, then get some wasp nest destroyer powder. You then have various application possibilities. I have used a bicycle pump - the puffer packs won't puff upwards :eek:. You can also put the powder into a cup/mug & attach it to a long pole. Never climb a ladder as if things go wrong you can't escape quickly. Don't rely on blocking the exit as there is often more than one !.

Wait until it's dark & apply the powder - try & get some near the entrance but it will work if it is on the nest. But before you do it be sure to have planned your escape & don't knock the nest before you apply the powder. Beware that you will have a garden full of very angry dying wasps for a few hours.

I know a guy who was a supposed expert. He put some insecticide in a bin liner, climbed up a stepladder & cut the nest away at the top. The plan was that it would drop into the bin bag but it dropped through the bottom of the bag. He was in hospital for over a week & nearly died.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That nest is really really sinister looking. I'm ashamed to say it's actually creepy and discomforting to look at. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Whispered wrote: »
    That nest is really really sinister looking. I'm ashamed to say it's actually creepy and discomforting to look at. :o

Well I would always leave them if possible as they do a huge amount of good in a garden. But it's different if there is a risk to children or pets.

Discodog wrote: »
    I wasn't going to post but someone might follow the petrol advice & end up scarred for life.

If you do it correctly and are completely covered you wont end up scarred for life.Its a lot safer than being stung multiple times by angry wasps.
    If you are going to do it yourself....then get some wasp nest destroyer powder. You then have various application possibilities. I have used a bicycle pump - the puffer packs won't puff upwards :eek:. You can also put the powder into a cup/mug & attach it to a long pole. Never climb a ladder as if things go wrong you can't escape quickly. Don't rely on blocking the exit as there is often more than one !.

Wait until it's dark & apply the powder - try & get some near the entrance but it will work if it is on the nest. But before you do it be sure to have planned your escape & don't knock the nest before you apply the powder. Beware that you will have a garden full of very angry dying wasps for a few hours.

Theres a couple of things wrong here not least that you`ll have a garden full of angry wasps.They will attack anything so even if you are 20 feet away from them youre still in trouble if they decide to attack you.
    Also that powder stuff is quite good if you can get it into the nest from a decent distance away but as soon as it hits that nest youre going to have wasps all over you.It wont work if you have it on the outside of the nest.

The reason the petrol one works so well is that it kills almost instantly and you dont have them flying all over you.Youre safe as long as youre covered up and they cant get to your skin.

Also almost all wasp nests only have one entrance not multiple entrances and this is the reason you block it off ie to stop them flying out at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Discodog wrote: »
    Well I would always leave them if possible as they do a huge amount of good in a garden. But it's different if there is a risk to children or pets.

I was trying to figure what good they actually do and all I can find is that they eat flys and caterpillars:confused:

What about a risk to adults;). One wasp sting has the potential to kill me:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Whispered wrote: »

I was thinking the nest is beautiful, a work of art!

Advertisement