Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop bargain?

Options
  • 02-07-2011 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Anything going these days?
    Dell outlet has closed and i need to buy a new one...
    Budget is around 300 euro but maybe 400 if its something good. All i need is the desktop, i have all other bits and software...

I might just go with a second dell from adverts...
    Any advice?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Things are quite sparse for bargain budget desktops right now, the dell outlet just died because they were too incompetent to work a simple website, and the outlets on ebay got too well-known.

Adverts is hit and miss.

The good news is that PC components are at their lowest prices in a long time, and if you don't mind ordering from a reliable German site (who'll build it for you) then I'd recommend going to the building and upgrading forum, posting your budget and what type of PC you want.

It'll be a damn sight better value, faster and higher quality than anything you'll get from dell, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Things are quite sparse for bargain budget desktops right now, the dell outlet just died because they were too incompetent to work a simple website, and the outlets on ebay got too well-known.

Adverts is hit and miss.

The good news is that PC components are at their lowest prices in a long time, and if you don't mind ordering from a reliable German site (who'll build it for you) then I'd recommend going to the building and upgrading forum, posting your budget and what type of PC you want.

It'll be a damn sight better value, faster and higher quality than anything you'll get from dell, etc.

with that german site & a similar site based in the uk do you just order what parts you want & they build it for you, ship it over. i imagine you have to state somewhere that you want them to assemble it for you i'm i right in thinking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The German site you can choose to get them to build it for you before they ship it. Only thing is they won't assemble the CPU heatsink or Graphics Card as they are heavy and could get damaged in transit. Or you can just get the parts and build yourself.

I don't know does http://scan.co.uk have the same service, but I am sure there is a few uk and Irish sites that will build it for you.

technician's at a college would be able to do this for you wouldnt they. are them sites more suited for people looking for really high spec machines like for gaming than someone looking for decent spec's at a better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If you live in the cork area I would be happy to assemble the machine for you for a small few bob! Im sure there would be people in any area who would do the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

batistuta9 wrote: »
    are them sites more suited for people looking for really high spec machines like for gaming than someone looking for decent spec's at a better price?
    Them sites are for anyone looking for a computer whether it be a high end gaming rig, a mid ranged good spec computer or a low end budget computer you will save alot of money building it yourself from one of these sites.

There is a whole forum dedicated to building pc's here on boards where you can ask any questions you have and they will have you pick out the right parts for you. There is also a full thread dedicated to people that are willing to help you actually build the computer when you get the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

batistuta9 wrote: »
    technician's at a college would be able to do this for you wouldnt they. are them sites more suited for people looking for really high spec machines like for gaming than someone looking for decent spec's at a better price?

Well usually most people want a pc that they can just switch on when they receive it

However, recently, pc parts have become very cheap and quite honestly offerings from Dell, etc have been pretty lousy

So much so, that its actually cheaper to build a PC on that german site, plus you can choose the parts you want, like a much bigger harddisk, or a more powerful graphics card if you want to game, etc, etc

The only thing is - if you don't know what you are doing, then go to the build and upgrading forum for help - otherwise you'll just spec up a load of stuff that is incompatible

Otherwise, yah, you can spec a basic desktop, without windows/monitor for a minimum of about 300 euros built and delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pslat

You'll get a reasonable pc box from elara.ie. for around €350 e.g. this one (at the moment) with windows 7 on it. Just be sure that the pc box you choose on their site has an os installed as not all of them have and unless you have your own full copy it can be a large part of the cost. It's always the problem building your own box unless you are going with linux. I've used Elara before and they have given me good service, just keep aside €8 for delivery anywhere in Ireland or you can collect it yourself. They're also one of the few online shops that are capable of taking Laser payments.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you're in Dublin I can build something like this for you. If not, you could have a go at building it yourself :)

Total build cost: €370.88 + €30 shipping
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.19
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version) €74.51
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155 €92.73
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) €33.59
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €53.03
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9 €26.51

-i3-2100
    -4GB RAM
    -500GB HD

If you already have windows you can knock €75 off that price.

cheers for the info lads & the offers to help, i wont be getting the new pc soon, hopefully by the end of the year though, i've to get a laptop for college first. i was just wondering about them site's and the way they worked & if your better off buying from them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement