Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured hen - self heal or Vet

Options
  • 02-07-2011 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Didn't close hen enclosure last night and when I went out this morning at 7, dog had Bantam hen in mouth. He dropped hen when I shouted at him. Hen limped off to hen enclosure and into coop where she is now.

Hoping wounds will heal but afraid stress of bringing in truck to Vet might do more harm than good.
    Any ideas on what I can or should do to help wounds heal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If the dog has pierced the skin then the hen is very likely to end up with an infection. A dog or cat's teeth can work a bit like a hypodermic needle & animal mouths are not the cleanest of places. So I would give the hen a thorough examination & look for any puncture wounds or breaks in the skin - quite easy to spot in hens.

If you find anything then put the hen in a totally dark box & take it to the vet for an antibiotic shot - unfortunately Monday may be too late as infections can spread really quickly.

Don't rely on the fact that the hen looks ok. Whenever a cat catches a bird people tend to put the bird somewhere safe, it appears to be getting better & then it suddenly dies. This is because an infection starts gradually but then the numbers of bacteria increase rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Good advice there, thanks.

No Vet around here till Monday.

Will check hen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If you have violet antiseptic spray put some on, or any antiseptic spay to protect it and especially if there is blood as the other hens will go for her. And as previous advice thoroughly check her and if need be confine her til you get to a vet.

Advertisement