Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you live in the inner city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

here are some views. Well, would you?

Would you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I do.

I do.

How long, Do you have any problems living there ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have done and would do again

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

have done when i first moved back to dublin, loved it:D.. felt like proper 'old' dublin met so many decent people there. not loike some 'dubs' with new money at the time:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Would live there but wouldn't bring up a family there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Nope. Used to, but would never live there now with my other half or kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

No. I'm not proud to say it, but the views drilled into me as a child by my family and area would have me constantly looking over my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fbjm wrote: »
    No. I'm not proud to say it, but the views drilled into me as a child by my family and area would have me constantly looking over my shoulder.

Weird... What did your family drill in to your head about the city?

I did for 12 years, loved it and I can see why some people say they wouldn't raise a family there, but I think it's improving dramatically in the city for family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I do, and have done for all my life and don't have any desire to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Weird... What did your family drill in to your head about the city?

I did for 12 years, loved it and I can see why some people say they wouldn't raise a family there, but I think it's improving dramatically in the city for family life.

Just muggings and stabbings and all sorts of stories with unhappy endings. No doubt they were made up by overprotective parents and passed down in my area etc but it would have me wary none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fbjm wrote: »
    Just muggings and stabbings and all sorts of stories with unhappy endings. No doubt they were made up by overprotective parents and passed down in my area etc but it would have me wary none the less.

Hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I've managed to live in the inner city for many years without being mugged or stabbed. I know people who've been mugged or stabbed in the suburbs, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I do, i have done all my life and if i have my own way, i'll never move out.

If you're born and reared here, you get street smart very quick and you encounter no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Anto McC wrote: »
    I do, i have done all my life and if i have my own way, i'll never move out.

If you're born and reared here, you get street smart very quick and you encounter no problems.

You get a free tracksuit and creases across your forehead with the street smarts too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bens wrote: »
    You get a free tracksuit and creases across your forehead with the street smarts too :D

And walk like a pigeon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was born on Summerhill, my mother's family are just off Summerhill.

I married a Sheriff Street girl, lived in Phil Shanahan House in Sheriffer for awhile and bought a house in East Wall.

Its brilliant living 'in town', however when we started a family we decided to make the jump and break out into the 'burbs :)

And I'm delighted I did.

I'd live back in town again, in a heart beat.. But not with the kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my lady does and i worry alot given the place shes in, town was ok a few years ago but is on a serious decline now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my mother lives at the 5 lamps and wouldnt change it for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yep and I would love to raise my kids in the city too.

• Advertisement

47 years living in the city ctr, would not live anywhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Personally I wouldn't unless I was younger and had no kids.

Not because I'm afraid or due to any snob factor. It's just that having the choice of peace and quiet (and a garden and more space) during the week but also like being close enough to get in easily for shopping and going out, especially at weekends.

I can get into town in 35 minutes on the Luas or 25 quid in a joer and could never live further away than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

here are some views. Well, would you?

yes I do. rent can be expensive but you save on taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Lived off Amiens Street for just over a year in 98/99 and had no end of hassle from the local gurriers,apartment was broken into twice and my brother came home one night to find a addict walking away with his bike.Always took the guards from Store Street ages to respond when you needed them.

Was handy for being so close to the centre of town and the dart station but not really worth the hastle and lack of safe public spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Lived off Amiens Street for just over a year in 98/99 and had no end of hassle from the local gurriers,apartment was broken into twice and my brother came home one night to find a addict walking away with his bike.Always took the guards from Store Street ages to respond when you needed them.

Was handy for being so close to the centre of town and the dart station but not really worth the hastle and lack of safe public spaces.

unfortunately, what you say is true. The first thing I saw when I moved into the city centre was gurriers setting a car alight.

there are secure car parks but addicts will still get in.

there are parks everywhere in Dublin, but some look dodgey.

Advertisement