Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field archery - how accurate?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

I'm working up the courage to go to a field archery shoot but don't know what kind of accuracy I would need so as not to look a complete plank.
    I can hit the face on an election poster (about 2'x1') at 20 meters. (I waited till after the election, honest).
    Can anyone advise me on what distances field archers shoot and at what size targets?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There are two codes for field archery in Ireland, FITA (Archery Ireland) and IFAA (IFAF).

You can find out about FITA field here.

The IFAF rules are here, with more here.

In FITA, targets range from 20cm square to 80 cm square and distances from 5 to 50m. Distances may be marked or unmarked (half and half or just one, or unmarked on day 1 and marked on day 2).

In IFAF, you may be shooting at pictures of animals or 3D life-size models (size is proportional to distance and distances are unmarked); occassionally targets as per FITA (target size up to 65 cm, again proportional to distance but marked distance this time).
    Depending on target type distances are out to 60 to 80 yards (approx).

Both codes make provision for beginners with shorter shooting distances.

I'd suggest you peruse the sites for both bodies on the web and make contact with a local club who will guide you and help your development in the sport.

http://www.irishfieldarchery.com/index.html

http://archery.ie/site/

Field archery is what you want it to be.............a good day with friends with mild competition or a genuine sport where every arrow counts. The practioners tend to be friendly, the competition is with your inner-self and the course builders rather than those you walk around with.

2darglevalleyfieldarche.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Wow! That's what I call a good answer. Much obliged. I will follow up on what you say. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SKMoe

Woodbrook Archers are holding a field shoot in Enniskerry, Wicklow this weekend (details below). It's a club shoot, but if you are interested, send an email to wicklowarchery@hotmail.com

Sunday 17th of July, Dargle Valley golf course, Enniskery at 10.30am field Shoot
    Competition type
    Club Field Comp. 16 target mixed round. All levels are catered for with white and yellow pegs as well as normal pegs.

Distances- red peg- max distance 60m. Blue peg- max distance 50m. White pegs- max distance 30m. Yellow peg- max distance 15m
    This will be a great chance for people to get a first taste of field archery.
    Cost seniors €10 and juniors €6

Advertisement