Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing kitten to dog = tricky!

Options
  • 01-07-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Any tips? Kitten is 8 weeks, Lab/Boxer (nutter) is 1 year old. Just picked the kitten up, dog is curious but attacks when the kitten hisses defensively, what a surprise :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Keep them separate for a while, only let them meet when dog is very tired (after long walks) and keep dog on lead.
    Let him sniff kitten and praise good behaviour, keep it short.
    Be patient and take your time, never leave them alone, boxers use their paws a lot, even a playful slap of the paw could injure a young kitten.
    Keep feeding time separate to avoid any issues.
    It could take an hour or a month, just don't rush things.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

I let them sleep in the same room last night, in different crates of course. I slept there too on the pull-out bed, to keep the peace, as the kitten was meowing a lot. She calmed down once I was there, and we all had a very peaceful nights sleep until 9.40am :D

Omar the dog is getting used to her, and not running around looking for her to hunt her out of the garden etc. But he will "go for her" if she crosses his path, and especially if she hisses. I don't think he's trying to kill or maim her, maybe he is just confused and doesn't know what to do. I have sat the kitten on my lap, and the dog by my side quite peacefully; so it's only a matter of time before this become more natural, and supervision isn't needed. As you say, it could take a month, but hopefully not!

thanks again for the advice.
    mymo wrote: »
    Keep them separate for a while, only let them meet when dog is very tired (after long walks) and keep dog on lead.
    Let him sniff kitten and praise good behaviour, keep it short.
    Be patient and take your time, never leave them alone, boxers use their paws a lot, even a playful slap of the paw could injure a young kitten.
    Keep feeding time separate to avoid any issues.
    It could take an hour or a month, just don't rush things.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

They're asleep together on the living room couch now, will leave them together there for as long as I can.. Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I kept mine apart for two days but they could smell each other so when they eventually met there was not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

HiKite wrote: »
    They're asleep together on the living room couch now, will leave them together there for as long as I can.. Nice one!

We need pics :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement