Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow connection on Netgear DGND3300

Options
  • 01-07-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I already had a Netgear DGND3700 and bought the DGND3300 for a friend.
    When I compare his DGND3300 to mine on my phone line using the same RJ11 cable I get the following stats using speedtest.net:
    Mine: DGND3700 (Working well)
    Ping 36ms
    Download 13.87Mbps
    Upload 0.62Mbps
    His: DGND3300 (Running slow)
    Ping 37ms
    Download 5.52Mbps
    Upload 0.08Mbps

Note when I swapped modems over the DSL cable was swapped and the power plugs were replaced (as they run on different voltages) so the other modem was off at the time preventing interference.

In the thought that it may have been a corruption of the firmware I reloaded V2.1.00.48 and also tried V2.1.00.42 but that made no difference.

In speaking with a different friend who also has a DGND3300 and his upload was also very poor (0.1Mbps).
    I then looked online at the Netgear forums and found the following:
    http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61618
    which shows at least one other Eircom customer with similar issues.
    There does seem to be a issue with these modems on Eircom.

I have included some of the details from the Router Status screen below:
    Router Status

Account Name
    Firmware Version V2.1.00.48_1.00.48

ADSL Port
    MAC Address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
    IP Address 86.44.XX.XX
    Network Type PPPoE
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
    Gateway IP Address 159.134.155.3
    Domain Name Server 8.8.8.8

LAN Port
    MAC Address C4:3D:C7:C6:7A:B8
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    DHCP On
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023k.d20k_rc2
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 17404 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 765 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

Your assistance in helping to diagnose this issue would be greatly appreciated as I feel that it could easily be affecting more of your customers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

nzsnoddy wrote: »
    I already had a Netgear DGND3700 and bought the DGND3300 for a friend.
    When I compare his DGND3300 to mine on my phone line using the same RJ11 cable I get the following stats using speedtest.net:
    Mine: DGND3700 (Working well)
    Ping 36ms
    Download 13.87Mbps
    Upload 0.62Mbps
    His: DGND3300 (Running slow)
    Ping 37ms
    Download 5.52Mbps
    Upload 0.08Mbps

Note when I swapped modems over the DSL cable was swapped and the power plugs were replaced (as they run on different voltages) so the other modem was off at the time preventing interference.

In the thought that it may have been a corruption of the firmware I reloaded V2.1.00.48 and also tried V2.1.00.42 but that made no difference.

In speaking with a different friend who also has a DGND3300 and his upload was also very poor (0.1Mbps).
    I then looked online at the Netgear forums and found the following:
    http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61618
    which shows at least one other Eircom customer with similar issues.
    There does seem to be a issue with these modems on Eircom.

I have included some of the details from the Router Status screen below:
    Router Status

Account Name

ADSL Port
    MAC Address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
    IP Address 86.44.XX.XX
    Network Type PPPoE
    Gateway IP Address 159.134.155.3

LAN Port
    MAC Address C4:3D:C7:C6:7A:B8
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    DHCP On

Modem
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 17404 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

Your assistance in helping to diagnose this issue would be greatly appreciated as I feel that it could easily be affecting more of your customers.

Hi nzsnoddy,

I am afraid eircom do not supply direct support for third party modems. However we have set up some checklists tutorials that may be of help.

See: http://bit.ly/l2CRXm

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Ok, I too was having this issue and I've finally got the correct line speed.

Like you I was consistently getting a download speed of about 5.5Mbps but and upload speed of 0.08Mbs! The line was syncing to 17Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up. So it wasn't any ADSL2+ problem or to be fair an eircom one. All looked good the the line was somehow restricted. Going through the settings led me to the QoS and bandwidth limiting features and there's a problem.

Short short is that there's a bug in the firmware it appears. To get the speed up, I done the following:

1. Go into the admin web-page
    2. Goto Advanced --> QoS Setup
    3. Disable "Enable WMM.." and Disable "Turn Internet Access OoS On"
    4. Enable "Turn of Bandwidth Control on" and set the uplink bandwidth to 1021kps

I attach a screen shot of the relevant settings. I hope this saves someone else the heart-ache. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cc99

Thanks for your reply!! That was really helpful. I have been tearing my hair out with my Netgear DNG3300 router since I got it during the summer with upload speeds being down to around 0.03-0.08 Mbps!! Been looking around for help for ages (and eircom of no use whatsoever) but after following your instructions, I am back up to a more acceptable 0.3! That's a fantastic result. Just one thing to note though, my system wouldn't allow an uplink bandwidth of 1021 as suggested but had a max of 384 kbps, but I have a result so I'm ok with that.

cc99 wrote: »
    ... Just one thing to note though, my system wouldn't allow an uplink bandwidth of 1021 as suggested but had a max of 384 kbps, but I have a result so I'm ok with that.

Delighted it helped - it's a pretty good router when running well. The limit of 384K might be because that what you are syncing to the Exchange at? Anyhow, you're sorted and that the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi, is this router any better comparing to zyxel in day to day use?
    I use zyxel to connect:

Two laptops
    Two android phones
    One iphone
    One ipad

i dont use them all at the same time...netgear handle it better than zyxel?

I didnt have any problems with motorola but i didnt have smartphones and other gadgets at that time...only two laptops and ps3

I dont download huge movies,games etc...I don't do online gaming. We spent a lot of time browsing, YT etc.

I experience lack of connections from time to time, and slow connection. I went through IT and customer depts few weeks ago as I didnt have a connection for a few days in row. It helped but they didnt give me any solution or reason, it just came back to normal...

ping, download and upload is different every time i check it between:

60-120
    1-2mb
    0.10-030mb

btw i am 3mb eircom user...i dont care about speed but reliability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for posting.

Some customers would prefer, and you're always welcome, to use your own personal modem when connecting to eircom's broadband. Just make sure it's Adsl compatible and is updated with it's firmware, etc.

Regarding slow or intermittent speeds : The following suggestions may be helpful:

Ensure your computer is not downloading files while running your broadband speed test.

*It is important to temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line if possible: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For e.g: a long private extension cable. Also, when testing your connection: ENSURE that you temporarily remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

*All secondary phone extensions should be correctly FILTERED. If you have any problems with your Secondary Phone Socket(s) you will need to contact a 3rd party/ or vendor who installed this secondary extension socket (usually an electrician).

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Connect ONLY one computer and shut down all other computer devices when testing your broadband speed. This will help obtain accurate broadband speeds.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?
    • These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.
    Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?
    • Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

I usually disable my computer firewall(s) and anti-virus applications so that I get an accurate reading when testing my broadband speed.

Now try eircom's Broadband Speedtest: www.eircom.net/speedtest

If you are still experiencing slow broadband speeds, then you will need to report this to Technical Support directly. Technical Support may need to run some quick checks before they escalate to the eircom Engineers.

Completing the Checks (above) will ensure that you have tested your broadband setup, as advised by Technical Support.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow up later.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• *Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, please see the help suggestions above.
    *Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

iwo wrote: »
    Hi, is this router any better comparing to zyxel in day to day use?
    I use zyxel to connect:

Two laptops
    Two android phones
    One iphone
    One ipad

i dont use them all at the same time...netgear handle it better than zyxel?

I didnt have any problems with motorola but i didnt have smartphones and other gadgets at that time...only two laptops and ps3

I dont download huge movies,games etc...I don't do online gaming. We spent a lot of time browsing, YT etc.

I experience lack of connections from time to time, and slow connection. I went through IT and customer depts few weeks ago as I didnt have a connection for a few days in row. It helped but they didnt give me any solution or reason, it just came back to normal...

ping, download and upload is different every time i check it between:

60-120
    1-2mb
    0.10-030mb

btw i am 3mb eircom user...i dont care about speed but reliability

Thanks for coming back to me.

I use wireless connection only. I do not use any p2p soft etc. I do not have any downloading uploading going on. Laptop is very fast and i do not have any virus/bugs and spyware. I did use eircom and speedtest and i got 1.6mb max today...I did have a problem to play 2mins movie 720p on YT. There was only one laptop connected to the router at that time.

I am wondering if any different router would be better...As I said before I am more concerned about signal drops rather than speed.

It's probably still too early to tell as I've only had my new settings on the Netgear for a while. Suffice to say that I bought the new router after my previous Zyxel one broke down (or at least that's what we thought it was because the connection speed was drastically going up and down all the time and dropping the connection altogether several times per hour). Anyway, overall the Netgear isn't dropping connections like my Zyxel did and now the speed issue will hopefully also be resolved. So at the end of the day I'm happy with my change of router.

Thanks.... What do you mean by "and now the speed issue will hopefully also be resolved"
    Resolved by new setting or firmware or something else?

I had major upload speed problems with the new router that conversations with eircom support didn't resolve. The solution offered by jayok above however seems to have sorted things out for me, increasing upload speeds 10-fold (I'm a web designer, so I'm constantly up and downloading code, so slow uploads in particular were a huge problem with the content management system code I use taking around 20 minutes to upload now instead of the 4+hours I had been experiencing!!!!!)

• Advertisement

Also, to help with DNS speed, I've come across this little utility called "namebench" that was really helpful: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/. I felt that the eircom DNS servers weren't up to speed and had previously changed to OpenDNS. But after running namebench, it pointed me to Google DNS servers, followed by an eircom DNS address that I hadn't come across before. Anyway, changing my DNS settings to the ones suggested by namebench seems to have sped up my browsing significantly, so give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks iwo,

On your query : "I am wondering if any different router would be better..."

Yes as advised, you are welcome to use your own modem /router to connect to eircom's broadband. Just make sure it's Adsl compatible and is up to date. I have my own personal choice, though each router has advantages /disadvantages your will need to measure up.

If you have any eircom related technical issues, you can also directly contact Broadband Support. Test your broadband connection as advised previously as this will definitely help Technical Support with your query.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (local); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best regards,
    Ant

iwo wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back to me.

I use wireless connection only. I do not use any p2p soft etc. I do not have any downloading uploading going on. Laptop is very fast and i do not have any virus/bugs and spyware. I did use eircom and speedtest and i got 1.6mb max today...I did have a problem to play 2mins movie 720p on YT. There was only one laptop connected to the router at that time.

I am wondering if any different router would be better...As I said before I am more concerned about signal drops rather than speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dragracer

I found this thread from googling looking for optimal netgear DGND3300v2 settings on Eircom
    I swapped over from a Xyxel modem that kept rebooting when ever it felt like it
    And now I am after loosing download speeds

Copied from modem start page

Router Status

Account Name

ADSL Port
    MAC Address E0:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    IP Address 86.44.244.41
    Network Type PPPoE
    Gateway IP Address 159.134.155.25

LAN Port
    MAC Address E0:46:9A:07:4E:FD
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    DHCP On

Modem
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 15356 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

I used to get between 1.3 and 1.5 mbps from filesonic premium downloads now lucky to see 900kbps

Is there anything I can do before I loose faith

I tried out what Jayok had tried and not any better yet

EDIT

Just had a look at the link that eircom.Mark put up and changed the primary and secondary DNS so we will see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

jayok wrote: »
    Ok, I too was having this issue and I've finally got the correct line speed.

Like you I was consistently getting a download speed of about 5.5Mbps but and upload speed of 0.08Mbs! The line was syncing to 17Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up. So it wasn't any ADSL2+ problem or to be fair an eircom one. All looked good the the line was somehow restricted. Going through the settings led me to the QoS and bandwidth limiting features and there's a problem.

Short short is that there's a bug in the firmware it appears. To get the speed up, I done the following:

1. Go into the admin web-page
    2. Goto Advanced --> QoS Setup
    3. Disable "Enable WMM.." and Disable "Turn Internet Access OoS On"
    4. Enable "Turn of Bandwidth Control on" and set the uplink bandwidth to 1021kps

I attach a screen shot of the relevant settings. I hope this saves someone else the heart-ache. ;)

Just want to confirm that this worked for me. Speeds prior to trying this were ~6Mb down and 0.06 up. After disabling QOS and WMM speeds went up to ~10Mb down and 0.60 up.

Using the DGND3300v2 and here's the modem info:

Modem
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 12737 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

so, is this router any better vs eircom zyxel one? Is there any point changing it?
    I do not have a filter and I do not use a phone line/handset at all so there should be no issues with hardware. I am using wireless only. Two main issues with zyxel are: random cutting, speed going up and down.

Dragracer wrote: »
    Modem
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 15356 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

Hi Dragracer, if you're getting this, then these are your sync' speeds to the Exchange. (i.e. 15Mbps down and 7.6Kbps up). Now, IP adds it's own overhead, but it shouldn't be that much.

If you check the speed directly from a LAN port? It may be something else? Did you switch to this modem/router and experience the slow down, or was it slow before?

Advertisement